Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
alan monro

Decided To Fix One Of My Faulty Subs

3 posts in this topic

Pulled the subs amp out and found the power train transistors and power mosfets all shorted ..

checked the obvious , the electros , Tested them ok with my ESR (effective series resistance) devise . .The secondry tapping fuses were also blown . 6Amp.

Not bad for a new sub I had been keeping for my outside theater .!!!!!!

I think what caused the blowout was simpley a faulty transistor that shorted and took the rest of the power train out . 3 transistors and 2 mosfets

I ordered new parts from China (very cheap) and in a couple of weeks should be thumping again.

The sub is the Jaycar 12" 150w RMS .

When I feel brave , one day ,I will tackel the 'bash' amp on my Klipsch sub .;

The danger with these' bash' amps they are not sepperated from the 230 Volt mains by means of a transformer. They are definatly a thick ruber gloved one hand job to repair .The other hand stays safe in ones pocket . Very much like repairing a microwave oven .Those things are lethal.Even when the microwave has been switched off for weeks the 2000Volt cap can still hold its charge , instant death!!!! ........................Alan

Gotta be careful with stuff like that. Tube Amps are the same way. Is the Klipsch sub high impedance? I saw a Definitive sub that measured really high and I don't think there was a transformer either. Given it was only 110VAC here in the US.

Todd :wavey5: gooday,The Klipsch i beleive is 4 ohm .Work our the voltage across 4 ohm to deliver 450 w

I work it out to about 130v.

A bit dangerous ...............Alan