Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
alan monro

Outdoor Home Theatre

31 posts in this topic

Living in the tropics is fantastic . It opens up a lot of possibilities,as the weather is so perfect all year around . Seeing that we spend all our time outside by the pool or in it . I am toying with the idea of projecting onto a painted screen near the pool .

We must be able to see the screen while in the water or sitting at the table or reclining on a lounge chair .

There are a lot of details to work out visually and audible . but that is half the fun of it .

Any constructive ideas would be welcome , especially if you know someone that has already done so.

........................Alan

Living in the tropics is fantastic . It opens up a lot of possibilities,as the weather is so perfect all year around . Seeing that we spend all our time outside by the pool or in it . I am toying with the idea of projecting onto a painted screen near the pool .

We must be able to see the screen while in the water or sitting at the table or reclining on a lounge chair .

There are a lot of details to work out visually and audible . but that is half the fun of it .

Any constructive ideas would be welcome , especially if you know someone that has already done so.

After that initial part, jealousy kicked in and I could not focus.

is the place avaliable for the screen shaded?

I'm sure the sun could really ruin the picture.

That is indeed the challenge

After that initial part, jealousy kicked in and I could not focus.

:drink40:That is funny .........................Alan

We really dont watch HT untill the night :).So night viewing is the go ...Alan

That is indeed the challenge

Sean , We would be viewing at night when the house has slowed down . days are too busy we find ......Alan

Wouldn't work here in the summer as we can have light until 10-11pm. On the flip side the winter would make it easy, but I am not sitting outside when it is -20F. :)

Wouldn't work here in the summer as we can have light until 10-11pm. On the flip side the winter would make it easy, but I am not sitting outside when it is -20F. :P

Sean , 6pm and it is black here in summer , The sun appears to fall from the the sky in summer.

In winter we have 20c ie 70 deg f . I can not picture -30 . Wouldnt ones nose freeze. How would one have a piddle in the open ,??wouldnt it turn black and fall off .:woot:.......................Alan

Wouldn't work here in the summer as we can have light until 10-11pm. On the flip side the winter would make it easy, but I am not sitting outside when it is -20F. :P

Sean , 6pm and it is black here in summer , The sun appears to fall from the the sky in summer.

In winter we have 20c ie 70 deg f . I can not picture -30 . Wouldnt ones nose freeze. How would one have a piddle in the open ,??wouldnt it turn black and fall off .:woot:.......................Alan

When watching a movie outdoors just like a drive in :woot: ,The distance of the speakers to the listeners is around 30' .

The problem is to have the speakers directional to the listeners so the neighbors don't suffer noise pollution .

One way to do this I think is to have small multiple speaker drivers set horizontaly in the enclosures to give a vertical sound field.

Any body have any experience with this sort of stuff , and , is my logic sound ........... like to hear your thoughts on this ..................................Alan

6pm that sucks. Sorry to hear that. I'll take light and cold anyday. Hard to snowmobile at 20c. -30 won't freeze your noes, but it can make your eyelids freeze shut. A quick pinch with your fingers cures that though.

Wouldn't work here in the summer as we can have light until 10-11pm. On the flip side the winter would make it easy, but I am not sitting outside when it is -20F. :lildevil:

6pm that sucks. Sorry to hear that. I'll take light and cold anyday. Hard to snowmobile at 20c. -30 won't freeze your noes, but it can make your eyelids freeze shut. A quick pinch with your fingers cures that though.

Imagine what that cold would do to ones beer , you wound need a icepick to drink it !:P...........Alan

Not seeing any pictures

Tryed but cant insert a link :woot:, but ,

backyardtheaheatre.com look that up and you will be supprised as i was ..:P.............Alan

I need a 12'x9' outdoor screen that will last for years wont blow with the wind, not effected by weather, dirt cheap and easy to make using readily avaiabe materials, and displays a extreemly good picture .It also needs a surface protection against balls and stones being thrown , (kid proof)in other words . Also very cheap and easy to repair and not take long to construct. And it has to look fantastic

Let me think about that one while i listen to Jazz. love it !!..............:woot:..........................Alan

Have you tried google searching yet? I know of none, but yet again, haven't been into outdoor screens at all. so....

Have you tried google searching yet? I know of none, but yet again, haven't been into outdoor screens at all. so....

Mark , good day . :woot:

Yes , 'outdoor home theatre ' Is an fantastic wealth of knowledge .

I want better than a sheet as a screen . so, I just have to have a couple of dozen cups of coffee or something and try to sort all that i have read .

things are starting to come together in my head

I will post my ravings soon

Not that it matters but, the wife is rapt with the idea of a o/d theatre i suppose that it reminds her of the good old days when we started courting and the drive- in .

well, back to thinking and drunking , i mean drinking ...................................Alan

If it involves A/V and makes the woman happy then its worth doing. :)

Please keep us updated on what you find as I would love to pretend I have the money to do this sometime.

If it involves A/V and makes the woman happy then its worth doing. :)

Please keep us updated on what you find as I would love to pretend I have the money to do this sometime.

No worries mate ...............................:nopity:......................................alan..

Meh, still think its stupid and looks like shit in your yard. If you have time to go outside shut the "idiot box" off and look at nature. More exciting anyways.

Meh, still think its stupid and looks like shit in your yard. If you have time to go outside shut the "idiot box" off and look at nature. More exciting anyways.

If you had one you would be playing another tune.

Only the elite can even think about outdoor HT :)

Good day again .

As one can imagine with DIY the biggest problem is the screen .

I think i have found the next to perfect screen material , The stuff that is used for 'home for sale' signs. Over Here it is called 'cor-flute' Double sided polly sheeting .An 8x4 sheet costs about $19 . The sheets can be butt joined , and if one wishes , a bit of white electrical tape over the join .

Lets face it , my tests show you screens in general can be built rougth as guts, but , once projected on they look good , you cant see any imperfections . Try it you will be amazed .

Coreflute can be stapled glued screwed nailed . it surpasses all the criteria in my previous post .

I noticed there is a shiny side and a flat side ,we would use the flat side .

If you wished it can also be painted . Paint sticks to it like shit to a blanket .

N ext , the frame . I will have to think about that . Rome was not built in a day .......................:)...........................Alan