Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
alan monro

What Is Home Theatre

19 posts in this topic

What is Home Theatre (HT) . This is a very broard question . HT is to have a picture theatre at home , or , where you stay . It realy means to have a very small version of a theatre at home with a very big screen and a very good audio systym . When is the last time that you have been to a theatre?? Did you notice a very high ceiling ,this helps control the acoustics (echo etc) thick underlay and carpet on the floor. did you also notice the thick screen curtains and very heavy drapes on the walls and padded seats. It is all there for one purpose , to contol the echo . Acoustics is the most inportant factor in a HT . Get it wrong and you will always be fiddleing , trying to get the sound right .Get it reasonaly close and you will have a very pleasing to the ear place where you can enjoy HT or Music . A must for a HT is to have a very large screen compared to the room size . Just look at your local theatre and You will see what i mean.

A HT has to have "feeling" . It has to look like a real theatre , Black ceilings etc . Without the theatre touches, the setup becomes lounge room equiptment . I have to admit projecting an image is a very good start to HT. And it can be done very cheaply . And it can look a million dollars . I will tell you how I did it on my first HT I built . I am on to designing my second HT., and projectors are getting better and cheaper as time goes on . Large plazmas on small walls can look very good as long as the wall is painted flat black ,and there are curtains.

Alan

If one is considering building a theatre from scratch , Have the room on the scale 1 is to 1.5 , for eg 14' wide and 14+7 =21' long and the ceiling as high as possible , that gives the room the best acoustics possible . There are other ratios

, but the ancient Romans and Greeks found 1 to 1.5 the best proforming size . when you think of it the best possible acoustics is ,no walls no roof ,that means no eccos or standing waves or any other room induced distortions, but when it rains it gets a bit wet B)B):Doh:.The size of the roo m . I have seen rooms 12'x18' made into theatres and looking and preforming fantastic . My last theatre was only 14x18 (an x garage ) And i am sorry that i have shifted . But i am going to copy it and make it 15'x22.5 ' ..

Another thing to think about ,do you realy need windows??? That is a personal choice. I found that sometimes it is nice to open up a window to air the place out .also by pulling back the black-out curtains during the day it discourages spiders from taking over the dark room and running webs .

You need entry doors behind where you sit so people moving around (going for a piddle) do not interupt the viewing .

Split or in the wall air conditioning in the room tends to make too much noise ,but , ducted is fi

ne. better go out now for dinner kind regards to all Alan

Well by now we have a empty room , an empty room it is until we start giving the room atmosphere, and the atmosphere we want is a picture theatre .We need a screen covered by centre parting curtains .we need seats .we need thick carpet on the floor, we need a high black painted ceiling , we need drapes covering the walls .

Now we can start to feel the atmosphere . All that is missing is the smell of popcorn and some speakers, amps projector

,etc. but don't worry that will come. I feel that constructing a Theatre should be fun and exciting and by starting the way I did . The theatre is at that stage of excitement that we can start to work out what "goodies"we are going to install and how .

Lets start with the seats . Look on the net for Home theatre seats and you can choose what will suit the budget and yourself . Try out the seats and remember that you will be sitting in them for many hours at a time . Remember to colour coordinate the seats . The wife and I prefer Burgundy screen curtains with a 4" gold tassel on the bottom Burgandy seats and Black carpet and Black drapes on the side and back walls and a Black ceiling. Remember , have dark colours in the room so that light from the screen does not reflect back to the screen and wash it out . Theatres are meant to be viewed in the dark .Not with a light on . Alan

Now lets look at a projector and screen . A cheap LCD projector is good .You should be able to get a good one for 600 odd dollars . Use the component inputs .Good as any .Mount the projector at the rear of theatre or to suit the throw of the lens . It is up to you if you want to wall or ceiling.mount. The projector must be mounted at the level of the top of the screen. Turn projector on and adjust as close as possible on dry wall .Use a level and the Keystone adjustments and make it close to perfect . I take it that you have adjusted the zoom and focus controls by now . Where the image is on the wall using a very straight piece of wood mark it out with black texta . Being very careful run around the border with 3" black tape .It is called Gaffa tape here. Or , you can use any other dead black 3' surround . The only other thing to do is to roll the screen with ultra flat white paint . In Australia British paints make a very low cost colour corrected paint just for that purpose , I think 20 odd dollars for 2 litre. After masking give it 2 coats . don't be fussy you will never see any Flaws . Dont be fooled into buying a screen as this one is as good if not better than screens costing thousands of dollars .I have used this meathod for many screens and all i have ever got was praise for a fantastic picture . In my new home I will be doing exactly the same ..............Alan

Speakers, See Aarons ----'-Home theatre primer' . That covers speakers, lay out , ext . Your selection will depend on your budget and the size of the room . What i suggest is that you go around and listen to as many speakers in your price bracket . Generally 2/3 of the cost of the whole HT set up should be spent on speakers as speakers and acoustics are the weakest link in a set up.Remember to take your favourite cds around and listen to speakers in stereo . not surround as surround adds too many colourations . Before you purchase your speakers read on ............................Alan

Speakers for a HT . when I went Searching for my own speakers i decided to have a 7.1 system . i finally settled on Klipsch R25 . No matter what you did with them they always sounded crystal clear and detailed ,.a little bright , but ,when they were processed by the receiver equaliser they turned out perfect . The front centre RC25 , the L and R, RC25 and 4 surrounds RS25 (bipolar) . Useless having bass spkrs L and R when the 2/ 15 " bass- sub woofers handle all the lower frequencies ,crossover at 80cps.I hope you follow what I mean .

So just centre speakers up front L,R ,C work out cheaper and perfect for home theatre and music ., and they have a much lower profile.

For the subs I made a stage under the screen 10x4x2 =80Cu ft enclosure added a couple of 15" carefully selected cheap speakers and used an old 160w mono amp . as a result one of the best and loudest and extended range subs i have ever heard . I had no lower restrictions on the sub so feq response DC to 80 cps . On some of my pipe organ cds the sub hit hard on the stomach before you could hear it .Absolutely incredible feeling . I am not talking loud , just extended low .

This is quick non detailed information . otherwise I would be writing a novel about it .

For any detailed info just ask . I cant find pics yet as they are in storage due to us being in a rental until we find the next home . I will search the wife's computer and see if she has any pics ..................................Alan :)

If your projector comes with HDMI.. you should be using that vs component.

True John .A lot of cheap ones don't have it. 20 ft HDMI cable is very expensive .I'm talking about keeping expenses down for the initial build also component is not really that bad is it ?? .

...................regards Alan

True John .A lot of cheap ones don't have it. 20 ft HDMI cable is very expensive .I'm talking about keeping expenses down for the initial build also component is not really that bad is it ?? .

20ft HDMI cable is nearly the same price as a component and will yield better results. Using component can be bad depending on how you are doing your processing.

20ft HDMI cable is nearly the same price as a component and will yield better results. Using component can be bad depending on how you are doing your processing.

Good day Sean . :) HDMI cable must have came down in price a lot .The last time I priced it it was over the moon in price .That is in Australia.

True , the last set-up id did was component and the marantz receiver converted it up to 720 . I was ,is ,a fantastic picture .

Good day Sean . :) HDMI cable must have came down in price a lot .The last time I priced it it was over the moon in price .That is in Australia.

True , the last set-up id did was component and the marantz receiver converted it up to 720 . I was ,is ,a fantastic picture .

They've been cheap for years. Just takes a teeny little bit of shopping savvy. It is just a cable...

They've been cheap for years. Just takes a teeny little bit of shopping savvy. It is just a cable...

Yes itis just a fancy wire with fancy plugs..Alan

The wire isn't fancy, not even close.

Try 2 The wire is very plain with a fancy plug.....Alan :woot:

The wire isn't fancy, not even close.

Try 2 The wire is very plain with a fancy plug.....Alan :woot:

How else are they going to fit 29 pins in an inch wide connector lol