Impious

In Need Of New Receiver

19 posts in this topic

Looks like the video out on my current receiver is taking a crap :) So, it appears that I am unfortunately in need of a new receiver. Please help a receiver noob find a decent replacement.

Requirements;

• Reasonable Price; $500 or less would be preferred as I don't use it for high performance theater, just general family entertainment.
  • 5.1 is sufficient, I don't need 7.1 as the room isn't very big
  • Audessey MultEQ would be preferred as it gives me the option of improved performance once I actually get some speakers in the room (spring hopefully).
  • Preamp outputs would also be preferred should I chose to run external amplification in the future
  • Reasonable power output; I know this isn't any receivers strong point, but I will likely be powering speakers from the receiver for the mid-term
  • Dimensions; I have about 17" W x 15" D to work with, so it can't be gigantic

That's all I can think of at the moment.

The rest of my components are pretty archaic; 15 year old VCR, satellite receiver, 7 year old DVD player, and a PS2 & Wii. So it needs to have sufficient "old school" RCA/component connections to handle all of my sources.

I have considered also upgrading to a Blu Ray at some point in the not so distant future. Are there any other players like this Denon that combine Blu Ray with the receiver that don't cost $2K? That would be an ideal solution, and I would expand my budget some to fit such a device.

Any advice and recommendations would be appreciated!

I will be following this topic as I will be making a similar one shortly, but of lower budget. :)

I will be following this topic as I will be making a similar one shortly, but of lower budget. :(

Certainly wouldn't hurt my feelings any if I could find what I want for much less than $500 :)

I would check out some of Harman Kardons stuff

This link, they usually have a reconditioned part of the site, and the prices are killer, but seems like nothing recon right now

but worth a gander ;-)

I personally have ran HK receivers since 1998, and right now have a oldschool HK7000 from 1999/2000

HarmanAudio.com - Audio & Video Equipment

I picked up an Onkyo 876 for nearly your budget. On their higher end it is basically an Integra in an Onk shell. Really superb bang for the buck. Used can also be your friend, but I found that CL usually had worse deals than I could buy new.

Thanks for the link forevrbumpn, I'll keep an eye on what they list.

I picked up an Onkyo 876 for nearly your budget. On their higher end it is basically an Integra in an Onk shell. Really superb bang for the buck. Used can also be your friend, but I found that CL usually had worse deals than I could buy new.

Where'd you score the Onkyo? Looks like it has everything I want if I could find one within my budget.

And unfortunately I live in a technological void. The only electronics for sale on CL in my area are Walmart HTIB's and white van speakers for $500. The only decent thing I've seen on CL for a fair price I bought...never used 15" Brahma that I plan to use as my HT sub :)

I bought it from Amazon. The price fluctuates a lot. Last time I looked it was back up to $1k although it was $600 when I purchased it. The thing really has balls and IMO is an extremely under rated piece.

Oh and the 7.1 can be turned into 5.1 and you can either use the extra two channels on your mains :buttlick: or for another room.

Dammit, now you have me wanting a $1k receiver :lildevil:

Guess I'll have to keep my eye on them and see if I can catch them when their price is on the downswing :buttlick:

Crap, I didn't realize what they were up to. Last I looked they were no where near that. Even still it really competes well with things much more expensive.

I think I may have found a couple winners. Thanks to your Onkyo suggestion Sean, I did some more looking into their products and found these refurbs;

Onkyo Tx-sr707 Thxâ„¢ Select2 Plusâ„¢ Certified Hdmi V1.3a 7.2-channel A/v Receiver | Accessories4less

Onkyo Tx-sr706 Thx 100w X 7ch Theater Receiver Black | Accessories4less

Look to be the same models from different years. Trying to figure out if the 707 is worth the extra $120 over the 706. Just from a quick glance, it looks like the main "upgrades" of the 707 are;

• More HDMI connections. I currently don't have anything that connects via HDMI, and don't foresee having more than 4 at any given time once I do start to upgrade peripherals.....so I don't think I'll lose anything here with the 706.
  • Audessey Dynamic Volume...never used it, so I wouldn't miss not having it.
  • 707 provides 2 newer surround formats....never heard them, so don't know if it's worth paying extra for them.
  • Two channels for subwoofers as opposed to one...I only have 1 sub, so again a feature that I don't need to pay extra for
  • I actually like the appearance of the 706 better ;)

Anything I'm missing here that, for my use, would make the 707 $120 better than the 706?

Thoughts?

I like the 2nd one, but I don't know if the more expensive model is worth it. They are both well above my budget for what I am planning.

Brad you should check one thing. At some point Onk stepped down the power supply quality on their amplifier section in some of their receivers. It is very possible that the 706 is a better receiver for that reason. It may be a different series though where this was an issue. I tried to search real fast for you, but didn't find what I was looking for.

Oh and the dynamic volume doesn't really work so hot, not a big deal to not have it. :(

I am a huge fan of Pioneer

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pioneer+-+770W+7.1-Ch.+A/V+Home+Theater+Receiver+-+Gloss+Black/9846378.p?id=1218183106808&skuId=9846378

These higher end Pioneer models share many components with their >$1000 Pioneer Elite brethren. Compared to the Onkyos mentioned above these are very warm and inviting. I have found Onkyos to be rather bright for my tastes.

A big thing with deciding what you want, as far as a receiver goes, is determining what speakers you have (are they bright or laid back?), and then do you like a bright overall system, a middle of the road system, or a very laid back system.

Myself I like a middle of the road system, so I bought the laid back Pioneer Elite receiver and used silk dome semi-horn loaded tweeters when I built my speakers. This gave me a nicely laid back sound, with a tweeter that displays a lot of detail with a slight edge, but one that manages to maintain composure and remains airy, where a brighter set tends to compress the image.

Thanks for the help. Pretty sure I've got myself talked into the 706 :)

Brad, what did you end up with? I am in need of something new, but I need the HDMI switching. At least 3in/1out.

I am a huge fan of Pioneer

http://www.bestbuy.c...8&skuId=9846378

These higher end Pioneer models share many components with their >$1000 Pioneer Elite brethren. Compared to the Onkyos mentioned above these are very warm and inviting. I have found Onkyos to be rather bright for my tastes.

A big thing with deciding what you want, as far as a receiver goes, is determining what speakers you have (are they bright or laid back?), and then do you like a bright overall system, a middle of the road system, or a very laid back system.

Myself I like a middle of the road system, so I bought the laid back Pioneer Elite receiver and used silk dome semi-horn loaded tweeters when I built my speakers. This gave me a nicely laid back sound, with a tweeter that displays a lot of detail with a slight edge, but one that manages to maintain composure and remains airy, where a brighter set tends to compress the image.

Ahaaaaaa Could you translate that into English :).............Alan

Thanks for the help. Pretty sure I've got myself talked into the 706 :P

Brad, what did you end up with? I am in need of something new, but I need the HDMI switching. At least 3in/1out.

I ended up not getting anything :P.....yet, atleast. Which may have turned out to be a good thing because it looks like the price on the 706 went down some on A4L. IIRC it was around $450 when I was looking the first time, now they're down to $399