Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JimJ

What Are You Listening To?

32 posts in this topic

Did not expect to see a McLaughlin band hit this high up in the Listening thread :buttlick:

I know this was about Metheny, but considering what other related work do you like?

Oh, and as for the now playing. I am listening to my very tired 7mo old nearly snoring in a crib, my wife sleeping softly, while surfing here and watching the Saints put an ass whipping on the Cards. What i hear the most though are the waves crashing under the balcony of our hotel room.

First off, IMO, as a self styled audiophile there is nothing as fun as sharing music you love with others, so this topic, "What are you listening to" is/will be one of my favorite topics. That being said, for those of us on this forum, most of us won't have the luxury of actually sharing these experiences with each other, so expounding a little about why you like a particular piece or artist would be more valuable than just their name and/or particular recording, and hoping someone will chime in. I like to experience new music and this topic is a good way to do that. Oops, back to my reply HA!....As a guitar player myself Metheny and McLaughlin have always been on my radar as two of the most innovative and technically skilled players out there. In terms of related work and Fusion/Jazz some others I like are Weather Report, Tony Williams Lifetime W/Allan Holdsworth and the previously mentioned Return to Forever W/Al Dimeola. Although not technically Jazz/Rock/Fusion, Bela Fleck's Bluegrass/Fusion is alot of fun. NOW PLAYING tonight is Bass Extremes, Cookbook, by Steve Bailey and Victor Wooten, TWO bass players and drums. Try it, it's awesome.

1 person likes this

lately when i run to the store i have been listening to track 9 on the Kid Rock Rock N Roll Jesus cd (Don't Tell Me U Love Me )..has really good hard hitting bass that sounds really good.. and James Otto... These are the good ole days.. any more it seems like i look for music that is just recorded really good more then just for who it is.. i can listen to about anything as long as it sounds really good.. man i must be getting old.