Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mark LaFountain

Paradigm Speakers

11 posts in this topic

I only heard some older models, they sounded pretty good. From what I remember from my old Stereophile reading, they had good bang for the buck in the mid fi range. worth a listen.

Paradigm are very good quality and sound amazing. I run the monitor 7 v2's and they sound great.

are they very expensive?

I'm running their Mini Monitors right now and have been very pleased with them. In my experience Paradigm is the best bang for your buck speaker you can buy. Most people agree. In order to do better in any given category you have to go with B&W, and they are usually another 1/3 more expensive. In general I would say they have a brighter sound than B&W which are a little more smooth. The speakers range anywhere from ~$400 a pair to ~$10,000 a pair for their signature series. I would highly recommend them.

I really like 'digm signature speakers. Quite a bit actually.

Referance are good too. For the money I would maybe try B & W first, or DIY for that matter. I think they look amazingly sexy though.

They sounds pretty good too I auditioned a pair of big towers at a local shop. Well above my purchase bracket for what they asked... and again. N & W's for the same price sounded better, personally.

I'd agree with that. I am a big fan of the 802's, although I really prefer the pricing they used 10 years ago.

802's are 'bout 10k a pair new now?

:dies:

I'm a bit short on that purchase. Probably the best 2 chan experience I have ever listened to though.

It could be a tie with the big maggies I heard on first a pair of mono McIntoshs and then a couple Audio Research mono's.

(I couldn't tell the difference in amps)

(I still want McIntosh amps)

(Yes I know it doesn't matter, they are pretty)

Anyway to the OP. I think if you find a good deal they 'digms are a good buy, but cruise audiogon first for some deals and maybe find some good B & W's to compair to. It's amazing how great even the "bookshelf" B & W's can give a mid range hoorah

Paradigm achieves great sound through superior design. No magic with these guys. The Reference 100 linked to in the OP is a good 3-way design with emphasis on higher output. The three woofers are used for baffle step compensation, and a high efficiency midrange, coupled with a competent tweeter make for a pretty sensitive tower by today's standards. Especially given the smallish enclosure.

Not much to complain about except the price.

1 person likes this

Listened to them last night and they are WOW AWESOME and way out of my price range.

Never saw this thread. Paradigm make excellent equipment. When I quit building speakers I still did some system consulting and frequently found myself suggesting Paradigm. They are not terribly costly, and TBH their "budget" Monitor line is difficult to beat. I have yet to find anyone who was disappointed in them.