Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Aaron Clinton

Opinons And Thoughts On Power Conditioners

11 posts in this topic

Thought I would ask, as I have never personally owned one, but have been able to listen to a number of arrangements with them. Who feels they are needed, or a must. Or if they are a must for certain components, or if once you spend $XX.XX on your equipment a conditioner is needed...?

I have an Adcom 515, for me it is used as a power distribution center rather than its use as a power conditioner. To me, that is the benefit of them, but currently I don't do much more than casual listening and movies.

Some components are more particular than others about quality AC - Hammond 200 series transformers are particularly sensitive to it, they develop a lamination rattle. Happened to a preamp of mine in Blacksburg. Haven't noticed it as much with torodial transformers...

I'd use one regardless :) Would like to try one of those PS Audio balanced power units...

We run PureAV power consoles in our theatre and TV room. The one in the theatre has a battery backup in case the power fails while the projector is on. This allows us to power down the projector and let it cool down instead of a hot shutdown.

I worked for Audioprism for about 4 years in the mid 90s. They made pretty much the best passive line conditioners on the market. I know at least Monster has purchased a few of thier designs.

The ACFX was a pie-type filter and worked really well. I could notice a difference in some situations. I probably built a 100 of these and the power foundations as well, I think they were both Stereophile reccomended filters for a few years.

I usually add a filter similar to the ACFX to most of my projects I build. Still, a good mains transformer with about 2-3 .33uf line rated caps in parellel with the primary gets rid of 99% of the grundge on the line... And is a very cheap, but good solution.

1 person likes this

Thought I would ask, as I have never personally owned one, but have been able to listen to a number of arrangements with them. Who feels they are needed, or a must. Or if they are a must for certain components, or if once you spend $XX.XX on your equipment a conditioner is needed...?

Aaron . Good day , Is it common in USA to have heaps of mains interferance ? . The only thing we tend to put on our equiptment is a surge controller in case of lightning strike nearby . Our mains are very clean generally , that is in Australia. I tend to think dont spend money on conditioners unless the mains supply tends to be crappy . Better to spend that amount on upgrading speakers , etc . a conditioner does not improve the quallity of sound or picture unless there is noticeable mains junk present . There is an old saying that describes the situation . Why wear a hat if the sun never shines ,Alan.

This is a topic I have pondered also. After doing some research, my personal needs were decided after reading an article, "The Ten Biggest Lies in Audio" (google this). It deflates many of the myths propagated by so called Audio Experts such as those at "The Absolute Sound", etc. I did find comments from some folks with HD TVs who got a more clear picture after using one, they may be more sensitive to these issues. One other thought, alot of us have multiple electronic devices hooked up in one room so be sure not to cause voltage sag by overloading a particular outlet. I have an older Sony CRT TV that used to visibly dim when I would power up my large power amps so I put them on different lines from my breaker box.

1 person likes this

Voltage sag or fluctuations are really not the issue, these or slow and not very noticable unless your equipment has a power supply that can't deal with this. It's all the crap on the line that is the problem. This doesn't change anywhere in the world. If you have a PC or anything else with a switching supply, any appliances in your house or flourescent lights, you have EMI on the line. Measurable EMI. EMI that makes it through the power supply of your equipment. Measurable EMI leaving your power supply and entering your equipment's circuitry. There is also RFI on your line caused by other things as well, also measurable....

#1 If you can't hear the effect of this through your audio equipment, you don't need a power filter.

#2 If you can, you do need a power filter.

There really isn't much worth arguing over those last 2 simple points....

2 people like this

Voltage sag or fluctuations are really not the issue, these or slow and not very noticable unless your equipment has a power supply that can't deal with this. It's all the crap on the line that is the problem. This doesn't change anywhere in the world. If you have a PC or anything else with a switching supply, any appliances in your house or flourescent lights, you have EMI on the line. Measurable EMI. EMI that makes it through the power supply of your equipment. Measurable EMI leaving your power supply and entering your equipment's circuitry. There is also RFI on your line caused by other things as well, also measurable....

#1 If you can't hear the effect of this through your audio equipment, you don't need a power filter.

#2 If you can, you do need a power filter.

There really isn't much worth arguing over those last 2 simple points....

After trying to think of something clever to say...I have to agree with your two simple points. Trying to learn here, does measurable EMI/RFI manifest itself as bad noises usually or are there other issues. OldSchoolSQ

Biggest issue is usually audible. Extremes could cause damage to your equipment but that isn't nearly as likely as annoying sounds.