Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
topgun

Diy Speaker Project Resources

5 posts in this topic

Where does one go for DIY speaker plans?

It seems to be a question among new speaker builders, so here is a compliation of places that one can look for ideas, plans, and parts. If you know of some good links that should be posted but aren't here, feel free to add to the list. :)

Zaph|Audio - John Krutke's excellent site, concentration on smallish 'bookshelf' monitors and component comparisons

The Frugal-Horns Site -- High Performance, Low Cost DIY Horn Designs - full range, single driver, crossoverless designs

Delusion of Blackburrow - a good mix of bookshelf and floorstanding speakers, easy-to-obtain parts

Humble Homemade Hifi - very wide variety of tested speaker designs, from the economical to the no-holds-barred high end

Parts Express Project Showcase - the PE project showcase. Lots of different ideas to try out

Transmission Line Speakers - transmission line speakers and subwoofer plans

Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Projects - Martin King's quarter-wave speaker projects section, excellent information if you're thinking about building a tuned quarter wave pipe of any kind.

Bigger Is Better 'BIB' Cabinet Dimensions - ZillaSpeak - probably the simplest-to-build horn plan out there, a good single driver, no-crossover solution. The companion thread on DIYAudio is here: Terry Cain's BIB -why does it work and does anyone have those Fostex Craft Handbooks? - diyAudio

Open Baffle - JE Labs open baffle plans. If you're curious about getting openly baffled, might be a good place to start looking

http://passdiy.com/speakers.htm - Nelson Pass' superb DIY section. Small speakers, BIG cabinets. Big fun.

http://www.quadesl.com/tidytl.html - compact transmission line plans for the highly-regarded Jordan JX92 full range speaker

planet_10 hifi - Planet10's box plan library. Related to the frugel-horn project, this is *the* place to start looking if you're thinking about CSS FR125 4.5's, Fostex or other single speaker ideas.

HTGuide Forum - Mission Possible DIY Lots of Dayton speaker DIY designs and other speaker projects

http://melhuish.org/audio/DIY.html James Melhuish designs

Linkwitz Lab - Loudspeaker Design

1 person likes this

The Speakerbuilder.net link appears to be dead, knew it was impossible to have all of them still working :)

I'll see about finding those projects again, that was a good link for Vifa-based towers...

I would think madisound should be on the list.Madisound

When I made that list I was just thinking about project write-ups, a recommended vendors list would be handy, too :)

The Speakerbuilder.net link appears to be dead, knew it was impossible to have all of them still working :)

I'll see about finding those projects again, that was a good link for Vifa-based towers...

I would think madisound should be on the list.Madisound

When I made that list I was just thinking about project write-ups, a recommended vendors list would be handy, too :)

Oh i wasn't refering to the vendor side of it. They have all kinds of calculators and such to help the DIY'er. Heres the right link for that....Hi-Fi Speaker Design

1 person likes this