Welcome to Home Audio Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Need Help (2) Maw-10 Subwoofers

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Buddah X

Buddah X

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Neutral
I have two MAW-10's. These are 10" subwoofer's made by MACH 5 audio. They are good for Home or Car audio use. I Built a box for them but not sure if it will work in the house. Does anybody have any suggestions for a good Home audio box for these. Here's some pictures of the box I did build. Thank you for your time.

SPECS:
Fs = 25.94hz
Re = 2 ohms (dc)
Qt = .36
Qes = 0.41
Qms = 2.97
Mms = 98.51 grams
Rms = 5.398339 kg/s
Cms = 0.000382 m/N
Vas = 37.96 liters
sd = 265.90 cm^2
bl = 13.133653 Tm
ETA = 0.16 %
Le = 0.77 mH
Lp(2.83v/1m) = 86.62 db
Added Mass Method:
Added mass = 78.00 grams
Diameter= 18.40 cm

2.36 ft.^3 tuned to 29hz.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
I live my life One MM of Xmax at a time.

Mark LaFountain

Mark LaFountain

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 288 posts
  • LocationHAF HQ west.
Good
great looking box. how does it sound in HT application?

Buddah X

Buddah X

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Neutral
LOL I have no Idea. I had these sitting around and figured I would build a box But I was going to put them into a car but ended up using a ENERGY ENC-12 instead. I don't have a Sub Amplifier or a good receiver. I am going to be upgrading my receiver to either a Harmon Kardon or Denon. Waiting on income tax. then after that I'll look into a HT sub amplifier. My main concern about this sub is the tuning. I think its way too high for HT application from what research I have done. I don't know if a tuning of 14 or 16 hz would be better. I also was curious about T-Line Never made one or herd one before. I think that would be pretty cool to make.

Duran

Duran

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • LocationOgden, UT
Neutral
Posted Image

Aaron Clinton

Aaron Clinton

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,310 posts
  • LocationHAF HQ east.
Good
The Decaware idea is interesting. The MAW's don't need a huge enclosure. I still have a MAW-12, great drivers for the money. Maybe Mark of Mach5 can make his way over here for the best answer.

Bass

Bass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationSacramento
Neutral
from my modeling it seems like you loose too much output to make it worth tuning low, unless you wont be using them for music. The best I could come up with is 4 ft^ tuned to 23 hz giving u an f3 of just over 21 hz. I dont know what that box would do for power handling though.
Without Bass we are all lost!!

Bass

Bass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationSacramento
Neutral

The Decaware idea is interesting. The MAW's don't need a huge enclosure. I still have a MAW-12, great drivers for the money. Maybe Mark of Mach5 can make his way over here for the best answer.

does that deca box play low?
Without Bass we are all lost!!

Duran

Duran

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • LocationOgden, UT
Neutral

I sketched two smaller ones as well, that's the largest.

Aaron Clinton

Aaron Clinton

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,310 posts
  • LocationHAF HQ east.
Good

does that deca box play low?

Supposed to, never built one.

Buddah X

Buddah X

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Neutral
That box looks like fun. and it will enable me to make it into a coffee table as you probably kinda figured I wanted to do. do you have dimension's and what not for that design. Because I'll probably build it if you guy's think that will sound good. I will be using it for movies n music. I also live in a apartment so I won't be turning it up loud at all but when I get a house or rent one then I might put a little more power to them. Thank you guy's for your help and input.

Buddah X

Buddah X

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Neutral
That looks like a bandpass box pretty much? I know in the car audio world Band Pass boxes are considered One hit wonders. DO these style boxes perform better in home audio applications? I'm a novice and still learning. Thank you for your help and time.

Duran

Duran

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • LocationOgden, UT
Neutral

That box looks like fun. and it will enable me to make it into a coffee table as you probably kinda figured I wanted to do. do you have dimension's and what not for that design. Because I'll probably build it if you guy's think that will sound good. I will be using it for movies n music. I also live in a apartment so I won't be turning it up loud at all but when I get a house or rent one then I might put a little more power to them. Thank you guy's for your help and input.

I actually designed that one to be made with a plexiglass top to look at the inside, I have everything for the design as I've designed three versions. I have only built one, it was a blow through in an S-10 with two 10" Crossfire P's, it's somewhat inefficient as we put 1400 watts on two 300 watt rated subs, but boy did that thing get loud and LOW. It was deafening.

Duran

Duran

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • LocationOgden, UT
Neutral

That looks like a bandpass box pretty much? I know in the car audio world Band Pass boxes are considered One hit wonders. DO these style boxes perform better in home audio applications? I'm a novice and still learning. Thank you for your help and time.

Yeah it's a dual bandpass folded horn. It works well in car and home audio.

Deephaven

Deephaven

Advanced Member

• Super Moderators
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationMN
Good
I wouldn't build a decware unless you modelled it to make sure that you have the right box volume.

If you are using that sub for HT it is tuned way to high, for music it might be fine.
*hasn't modelled it, just a logical guess.

What are your goals? Are you willing to build a new box?

JimJ

JimJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • LocationMcLean, VA/Hillsborough, NC
Neutral
If it were me, I'd do two separate sealed enclosures :D

Easier to deal with room modes...
The machine does not isolate us from the great problems of nature but plunges us more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint Exupéry

Buddah X

Buddah X

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Neutral

I wouldn't build a decware unless you modelled it to make sure that you have the right box volume.

If you are using that sub for HT it is tuned way to high, for music it might be fine.
*hasn't modelled it, just a logical guess.

What are your goals? Are you willing to build a new box?

I am completely willing to build a new box. after building this one for a car I decided to use them in HT instead. I kinda knew this box was tuned way to high for HT. 29hz when I've seen most home audio subs around 15hz. Thank you for your help.

Deephaven

Deephaven

Advanced Member

• Super Moderators
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationMN
Good
Before really talking about a box it would help to know what you are going to use for processing and amplification.

Buddah X

Buddah X

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Neutral
Well I'll probably use a HT subwoofer amplifier like you get at parts express for them. Parts Express Or something similar. I'm not looking for perfection just a decent low sound.

Deephaven

Deephaven

Advanced Member

• Super Moderators
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationMN
Good
If you want an enclosure that is optimum for HT, you are going to need some sort of HP filter as well. Not many amps I've seen include one that you could use.

Buddah X

Buddah X

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Neutral
I thought all subwoofer amplifier's stay within a certain frequency range like 500 hz and below????

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users