arande2

18" Sonosub

24 posts in this topic

I am currently working on this project, as I am trying to get maximum extension and good sound, like we all are..

The design is basically a sonosub (25 cubic feet) 30" diameter 6 feet tall, 10" port 36inches long.. exact tuning depends on how the volume comes out and the sonotube used for the port, but around 14hz.

I am hoping for extension to at least 13hz in room.

I am attempting to take some steps towards audio nirvana, as money allows...

So I might try to get some pics up, we'll see. I may just give the information, including my impressions and differences coming from no subwoofer.

My main speakers have 12" drivers and only get to around 45hz. I have not measured the surrounds yet, but I believe they are aimilar.

Pictures would be awesome, they always help the build logs. I am jealous as I was planning a sonotube for a sub but now I won't have the space.

Im curious about sonotubes too. I just finished reading Pat Bateman's thread on DIYMA about tapped horns and someone there made a reference to them. Is ther any web sites where you got your info on how to build them, size, driver selection, etc.?

I suppose I can get some pictures :lildevil: They may not be very good quality, of course.

Sad to hear you won't have space, hope you can make a good compromise.

Otis, I quite literally go search lots and lots of sites and that's how I get my info, all scattered around. I had to learn about room effects, parts of the signal chain, electronics in general, driver materials, what every parameter actually means and its effects (indirect and direct), etc...

But I can say if you start by thinking of what you want to achieve, that can get you far.

Sonosub - Free Speaker Design Software

free dl to get you started...cant wait to see pics! :D

Yeah, it's a good site overall as well :P Probably did me more good than the program :P

Otherwise, I got snowed out today (cutting happens outside)

I will do my best to get to it tomorrow. I've been wanting to do this for years now. Going from no subwoofer to this should be nice.

The best 2 things about sonosubs compared to reg boxes is ease of assembly and the lack of a need for bracing due to the cylinder.

Exactly why I wanted to build one for my next build.

The best 2 things about sonosubs compared to reg boxes is ease of assembly and the lack of a need for bracing due to the cylinder.

Isn't it ideal to have at least some bracing for the cylinder?

Bracing is always better than no bracing. :)

That is what I have thought. Maybe I could try a sonotube for my next build. I don't know though.

To the OP, what sub are you planning on using for this build?

That is what I have thought. Maybe I could try a sonotube for my next build. I don't know though.

I think he is planning on using a Fi Audio Q 18"

Fi:

Bracing is always better than no bracing. ;)

Right

I think he is planning on using a Fi Audio Q 18"

Fi:

Right, it's sitting here 5 feet from me ready for action.. :P

We have the main circles cut. Just the holes left for cutting..

Those concrete forms are awesome. I have been building subs in those since the late 80s.

You don't need much bracing, they are round and meant to take alot of pressure, best use of your time and skills are to build very stout end caps.

We put accelorometers and the walls of a sonosub at an audio meeting in the 90s, the walls had about as much movement as a heavily braced enclosure someone else had that was 2" of MDF thick.

The only treatment I would do is spray the inside and out (before I put a sock of grill cloth over it) with a dampening treatment to help get rid of any wierd ringing....

I built one in 89' with 2 pyle 15" drivers (one on each end) and a 6" PVC port coming out of the middle. It looked like a big M-80 firecracker, lol...

I got to gluing today, and the camera is actually here.. now if I can get to it before it's taken again..

The size of the circles (30"&32") relative to the table gives me an idea of how big this will turn out to be...

BottomEndcapSub.jpg

That's all I've got right now.. from a couple days ago.

It has one small mistake, no problem.

Yesterday, we got all the holes drilled in it and will paint today.

I need to paint it, assemble the parts, and see what happens.

As for pictures, we'll see.

Before I post pics, I must go over a few problems and try to fix them.

Measured 80w RMS from amp...remember...

So with that much power (5 sec sines), I was not impressed with the sonosub on the left side of the room (same with the old sub). I tried moving it closer and closer to the corner next. It gave everything quite a shake, but I still did not hear the deep bass. So... the next morning I tried 'crawling' for bass, with an improvement in the sense I could then hear bass to 27hz, but then created a null problem 40-45hz.

A lot of my purpose for this building was sub-40 bass, especially sub-30 and even more so sub-25. At 80w, 35hz is surprisingly quiet. 30hz is somewhat okay. 25hz is not detectable, save for the noise from the subwoofer, 20hz is the same deal, 15hz same deal, 12-13hz I finally get some pressure on my ears.

Another problem is localizing it. I have a crossover of 50hz, but I very obviously hear the bass coming from the right. I have this problem at any frequency (with any sub I have used in this room), save for 12-13hz where it IS equal and I wouldn't know except for subwoofer noise. I would use the 80hz crossover, but the localization is too bad.

It may be some time before I get the larger amp. But, I am contemplating building a second subwoofer first to even out the sound and lessen the subwoofer noise (I hope) along with add a few dB.

There is nothing wrong with the driver, is there? It's so hard to know because this is my first experience with a large high-excursion driver.