daryl308

Another Sub Woof Question

3 posts in this topic

I'll try to keep this brief.  Back in the 70's, those glorious days of vinyl and 12" 3-ways, in my hardwood floor room I had problems with blowing out the circuit breakers on my speakers whenever I really pushed the volume.  I came to learn that the sound was feeding back thru the turntable.  Fast forward 40 years...I changed my mind and have a 12" sub coming next week via UPS.  My 2.1 system is in a carpeted, draped and furniture laden living room.  Question: When I crank the volume up, am I likely to have feedback thru the cd player??  I know I have to "tune" the sub woofer for "normal" listening.  Would I need to find a way to isolate the cd player?  Or will I find that I need to turn the sub down as the rest of the volume goes up?  Or am I over thinking this?  Or am I asking too many questions? :rolleyes:  Thanks!

1 person likes this

Well, the sub woofer came in a week early, so I can answer my own questions...no, no, and no.  It is a BIC America F12 and sounds great, just what I was hoping for.  Thanks anyway! :fing34:

1 person likes this

Sorry for the late response, in no way should the bass affect/effect the CD player.  Vinyl is susceptible to feedback of that nature.  It is an analog signal that relies on picking up vibrations from the record surface.  The grooves in the record are that analog signal, which cause vibrations on the needle that are amplified multiple times to get the power to your speakers.  Playing your system loudly could have cause vibrations to through your floor, through your furniture, then to your record player.  Those vibrations are they picked up by the needle again.  Imagine this cycle repeated over and over.  This is feedback.  Same principle as a microphone in front of a speaker.  

CDs are digital, and the signal consists of 1 and 0s.  CDs are optical devices.  A laser picks up the 1s and 0s that are decoded and made into an analog signal.  The nature of CDs make them immune to things like feedback the way a record player would get it.