Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Reesche

Hdmi Cables And Dvd Image Blanking Out...

6 posts in this topic

Can anyone tell me about HDMI cables. 

We have been experiencing video "Blanking out" for a few seconds and then coming on again..... during that time, the audio was still going.  It was also doing this with our pin drives via USB on the Sony BluRay.

Denon Reciever, Panasonic Flat Screen TV and Sony BluRay player.

I have experimented with (2) of my Sony BluRay Decks and they both did it.

The last thing I tried is turning all of the power off to all the components and unplugging the HDMI cables from the Denon Reciever to the Panasonic Flat screen and it seems to have taken care of the problem.

My Question is: IS there a sequence you need to perform when plugging in and unplugging ANY HDMI cable? 

I think I read somewhere that you do need to power OFF all components THEN plug and unplug any of the HDMI cables THEN power up all the components...... Has anyone heard of this?

Plus.... Does ANY HDMI cable work with these components or are there special cables to correctly work here?  Also, do HDMI cables go bad?  The bad design flaw IMHO is that they do not lock into the component they just kind of hang there.

Thanks!

1 person likes this

It sounds like a handshaking issue between your some HDMI devices.  My receiver will blank out audio if I am playing audio from, lets say my chromecast (TV would be off), then I turn my TV on and then audio stops until the video begins playing.  

I have never heard of having to plug and unplug when anything is powered off.  It shouldn't matter either way.  The hot plug detect wire on the HDMI circuit should recognize when something is plugged in or unplugged.  Unless the problem lies within that HDMI cable.  Cables usually do not go bad, especially something like and HDMI cable that gets plugged in and left sitting from thereon out.  

The only issue I could possibly see with an HDMI cable not being sufficient if it was like HDMI 1.0 standard,but unless you remember playing $100 or more like 7+ years ago, chances are the cables you have are just fine.

So is the issue gone?  What is the signal path?  Is the Blu Ray going to the receiver HDMI, then to the TV via HDMI from the receiver?  If that is the case, have you tried bypassing the receiver and going HDMI directly to the TV to see if the problem persists?

If you bypass and the problem goes away, make sure to check that your receiver is up to date as far as firmware goes.  It sounds like there is some kind of handshaking/authentication error between devices and a lot of times that can be fixed with updates to firmware that address bugs exactly like this.

Thanks for responding.... the issue is still there.  The signal path is...... Sony BluRay  to  Denon Receiver  to Panasonic Plasma TV.

I thought it was gone and it happened again last night watching some MP4 videos on the USB via pin drive.

Will try your bypass method this weekend.  So you think firmware would effect something like this?  I will go to Denon's site and check if I have the latest version.

This is very frustrating!  We JUST bought the new Denon receiver too.

Thanks again!

Does it do it with Blu-Rays as well or just when playing off of the flash drive?

Yes with BluRay or DVD's.  It playes for a long while then just blacks out and resumes and then blacks out again.  I am in the process of updating my firmware.

Check your video settings on every device including your reciever. What it sounds like either your TV is seeing a resolution conflict, or each device is seeing a conflict. 

If all settings are correct, try hooking the Blue ray player directly to the TV.

Is your TV older? Could it be flashing because the signal is to strong.

Or is your HDMI out on the receiver about had it. Did you try a new cable?

Is your HDMI Input on your TV worn out?

There is a host of things that could be wrong.