IncurableGeek

Onkyo Tx-8050 Optical Connect To Motherboard

5 posts in this topic

I have an Onkyo TX-8050 and an ASUS Crosshair V Formula Motherboard with each connected via an Optical Cable.

I have scrolled through the setup menu on the TX-8050 and set the input to Optical 1.

However, No Sound.

Briefly, what can I do to get stereo sound from internet radio and Media Monkey (hdd), through my motherboard, to my TX-8050 and out through my speakers and subwoofer, all of which are connected properly?

Note: I am assuming that an optical connect to the motherboard would yield superior sound to a dedicated sound card which will certainly pull noise off the computer components inside the case, while optical will not.

Thank you for you help.

1 person likes this

It looks like it could possibly be outputting a signal not recognized by your receiver.  Have you tried going into your soundcard settings and messing with anything withing that?  Maybe have it set for stereo sound as opposed to a surround format.  I'm not sure that is the issue, but it's worth putting 20 minutes into.  

It looks like analog would work but you said you have noise issues or you are afraid of noise issues?

Have you tried going into your soundcard settings

I am not using a soundcard on this computer. Instead, I am plugged directly in to the Optical Out of the motherboard, because everyone agrees that soundcards pick up noise from the inside of the computer; digital of course cannot.

So once again: it's Optical Out from the motherboard to Optical In of the receiver/amp which is set to digital on the menu.

And No Sound.

There should be some sound settings on the computer though.  Or maybe the optical output is set off by default.  I guess double check and make sure you have the right digital input assigned as in optical vs. digital coax.  Going to come down to just doing some troubleshooting and figure out where the signal is going wrong.