Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
daryl308

Running 2 Sets Of Speakers (A+B)

4 posts in this topic

I recently retired my 40 year old, 2 channel stereo receiver, and picked up 1 with a little more oom-pa-pah.  The spec's say it will put out 75 watts RMS per channel  into 8ohm speak's.  I just bought 2 new speakers (8 ohm) and the sound is superb.  Both my old receiver and the new can power 2 sets of speakers at the same time.  If I got another identical set of speakers, and ran all 4 of them at the same time, does the RMS wattage drop?  Instead of 75 watts x 2, do I now get 37.5 watts x 4?  (I seriously doubt that I would magically get 75 watts x 4). And how is the total volume of sound affected?  Would they sound just as loud at a given volume?  Or would the volume be diminished at each speaker?  And if I got another set of speakers, would my wife forgive me? :fryingpan:

Good day Daryl

The amp with 2 sets of spkrs ( say 8 ohms each ) would if the power supply is good would give double the power .Using the formula----

W   =   Voltage squared over spkr impedance

W is watts

V is the power supply of the amp.

eg , 2 speakers in //l the same ohms say 8 ohm =4ohm.you can see that the power is going to be double .

To make a long story shorter the volume wont change and the amp is designed for //l spkrs ,  so ,,don't worry enjoy it .

:dance: ......................Alan

ps. Your wife will hate you for a short while , say 20 years or so. but , who cares a dam you have got you set up

that is all that matters isn't it????.

(my wife still hasn't forgiven me for buying a expensive hi fi 45 years ago)(who cares) i got my hi fi..

I like Alan's advice. What receiver do you currently have? Most stereo receivers with run two sets of 8 ohm speakers, but it may not necessarily be double power output. It will put out more than the 37.5 watts per speaker, but probably won't be 75 Watts per speaker. You won't hear the speakers being quieter by adding another set.

The receiver is a Yamaha RS 500.  I also have an old Pioneer SX 828 that is still in 97% shape. It can do 3 pairs of speakers but only 2 pair at a time.  I'm assuming that "//l"  means parallel???  so, more speakers = more sound but not necessarily louder???   I like more! :runlaugh: