Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
daryl308

A Sub Woofer Just For Music...no Ht!

6 posts in this topic

Well, I poked around this forum and I can see the vast majority of folks here own systems that would put my modest equipment to shame.  I never heard of a lot of the brands mentioned here.  No matter. I think I want a sub woofer to go with my 2.1 channel stereo.  I have a Yamaha RS-500, a cd player, and I just purchased a pair of Polk TSx 550 speakers.  With my budget, this is a "high end" system, as I always had low end, 12" 3 ways in the past.  :rolleyes:  I managed to actually audition a few pairs of speakers from JBL, Infinity, Polk, and Klipsch.  All in the <$500 range.  All were towers.  All left me feeling short-changed on the bass end, but the Polks sounded the best to my old ears. I thought about getting a graphic EQ to just gently tweak the bass up a tad. (I'm not looking to blow the roof off the house.)  I learned that EQ's will help but will "veil" all the signals headed for the speakers.  A little? a lot? So now I'm studying up on home subs.  I've read a lot about speakers needing 40-50 hours of "break-in" time before the bass really settles in.  Is this true?  If so, do I really need a sub?  I just want a little more bass is all.  Others say to put the towers on the floor and pull them out from the wall about a foot or so.  BTW, how far apart should they be?  This is strictly for listening to music. Maybe I'll hook the TV up to the stereo at a later time...but I doubt it.   I just don't need a HT to watch old Bogie flicks or the other stuff from the 40's and 50's that I tend to watch.  So please humor me with my modest stuff and show me to the yellow brick road to sub woofer land. :wacky:  Thanks.

Speakers do break in after a playing them for a period of time. With some use the suspension will loosen up but it won't change the sound drastically. A sub will definitely help with the low end. There is a huge selection of subwoofers out there. Whether you buy one or build one, a sub is always a good addition to a system. Do you have a budget?

As for the eq, I would pass on it unless you know how to use it. To many times do I see someone with and eq with a smile EQ curve. They should be used sparingly and for what it sounds like you want, sparingly won't get you where you want to go.

Yeah, I'm not totally persuaded on getting an EQ. 

As for a sub woofer budget...I have champagne tastes, but only a beer budget.  There's no way I'm dropping $500 on a sub.  The reviews I have read on the cheapie subs say they tend to sound "muddy". :puzzled:  A lot of folks seem to like the BIC F-12 sub.  It sells for $150 t0 $200 online.  I balk at going over $300 for a sub. Ideally, I'd like to listen to them B4 buying, but in S. Cal., that's not likely to happen.  And now I've learned that I may have to "tune" the sub to or with my speakers.  I have no real clue as to how high up or down on the bass frequency range I need to set it, 100Hz? 150? 200? 500?

My musical tastes lean to alternative rock that's not so energetic,  David Gilmour or the "calmer" Pink Floyd stuff for instance.  However, I will fire up the old Led Zep for an occasional spin. The London Philharmonic symphony is always good, as is Steely Dan or any decent classic rock, or soft jazz or 1940's big band.  Well, anything that is NOT rap, hiphop, or opera.

Virtually all the reviews  I see for subs are for use in a 5.1 or 7.1 HT.  That's probably great for "Transformers" or crashing a fleet of helicopters with no mufflers into an atomic munitions dump, or blowing up a Death Star.

I'm fixing to wait a few weeks B4 I decide to buy 1 or not. The more I listen to my new speakers, the more things I hear that never came out of my old 12" 3-ways.  At my age, I'm not unwilling to re-train my ears to a possibly more accurate reproduction of bass tones.  Maybe I just need to do a little bass withdrawal.  or not. :drink40:

You mentioned that reviews state that the subs have muddy bass. Could be as simple as improper set up. Setting a low pass filter could easily help with that. I currently have mine set around 75 hz.

I'm on a similar budget at the moment. My sub for pulled from an old church and just got hooked up to an amp I already own. Works though.

If you don't Feel you need a sub, don't be pressured into buying one. Many new speakers do a fine job digging down deep so you may not need one. Depends if you want to spend the money and have a"need" for one

Gooday Daryl . Welcome to the forum .

Buy a cheap sub ,,Turn it on or off to suit your music . all sub lower base varies due to the material you are listening to.  .......Have fun...........Alan :djparty:

Well, I thought I'd report in.  First off, thanks for your input.  After placing the speakers where I wanted them, I have found that I really don't need a sub after all.  They seem to have broken in a bit and sound a little more impressive every time I fire them up.  I was convinced by a track of the "Dark Side of the Moon".  I had the system cranked up and well, 1 tune scared the ba-cheesus out of me when that deep bass hit.  Thanks again.  I have a couple of other questions to post else where. :gayhaaay1: See ya!