Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
coda514

Help With Horn Midrange

7 posts in this topic

Hi, Im helping a friend with his home theater room and he has a high end pair of Klipsh loudspeakers. They are about 12 years old, I don't know the model number, but they have horn midrange drivers. The problem is they sound great for movies, but are way to "bright" for his musical taste. The question is can we add a volume control or some type of attenuator to just the horn driver? We would like to be able to tone it down for music, but return it to normal for movies. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Could build a simple Attenuation circuit with a potentiometer.  Tone it down for music and then back up for movies.  The Klipsch can be a bit right for some peoples taste, but it should be easy to add.

A quick google search will bring up  schematics and calculators.

1 person likes this

Gooday and welcome to the forum . :wavey5:      Old Klipsch speakers , Classics, Love them. Distortion free.

All Klipsch spkrs are designed to have a fairly flat freq response , they do not peak in the mid range .

Your problem is  due the  acoustics of the room being peaky in the mid range frequencies .  Or the amp is set on speech or other , Check the amp and make sure it is set to Flat or Natural if it has adjustable settings.

If the amp is ok the cure is to install bookcases with books to soak up the mid range , or place around the room light drapes   or absorbent acoustic board. on the walls and , or  , heavy mats on the floor.

Technically it is not a good idea to say shove a sock up your horn to lower the mid range (especially an unwashed one) :bigclap: .That is not a cure , but , a band -aid fix.

Please let us know if there is any problems . We are here to help ...............Alan

1 person likes this

Thanks for the input guys. We are looking into the attenuation circuit, seems like the most cost effective solution. Alan, we have gone through many changes to adjust room acoustics. We have it sounding great for movies, but dont really want to have to do a complete "make over" every time we want to listen to music. I will look into the amps eq settings though. Thanks again guys.

I think that you misunderstood me .I have Klipsch speakers myself :band: Great with Jazz and HT

If the room is balanced acoustically  and the amp is correct it will sound fantastic for both and no need for a mechanical mid attenuator it would be a butcher modification to a great speaker.

I am not saying to keep altering the the layout of the room to suit the venue.That would be stupid .

If you must alter the mid .....your amp must have some sort of adjustable equalizer built in ????? .If you haven't got the manual  for the amp look it up on the net .

Please let us know how you go...........................Alan

ps. what series spkrs do you have???

Alan brings up a good point, the receive our amp may be able to attenuate the midrange. Check that out before you go and alter your speakers.

Another thing, most receivers have a A/B speaker setting. Would it make sense to put a second stereo pair just for music as you don't need the surround sound for music?