Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GSMetal

Replacing Old Nutone With Ipad

6 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone!

This is my first posting here and I'm pretty much of a moron so you'll have to bare with me.

I have a late 70's home that came with an old NuTone whole house audio / intercom. The system only got AM stations and most of the speakers/intercom in each room didn't work or just sounded plain horrible.

So I did a little poking around the web and found out how to add a Bluetooth receiver to the NuTone base station so I was able to stream music from my iPad to through the horrible sounding speakers in each room. Then I got the bright idea of replacing all the old speakers in each room with semi decent LeGrand speakers - so I did. Now things are sounding pretty good through the whole house and while we aren't able to use the intercom (no big deal since the house isn't that big) we're having fun listening to music throughout the house.

Well, now i'm thinking about ripping out the NuTone main station and moving all the existing speaker connections to a more modern speaker selector and powering it with some type of amp THEN plugging in the Bluetooth receiver into the amp and run everything through my iPad.

So my newbie question is: Will this work or am I missing something? ALSO - I've notice my Bluetooth receiver range is somewhat limited, any thoughts on extending the range capabilities?

Things to check right away, The gauge of the wire that is in place. My biggest concern is that is could be a high impedance system that uses small wiring so we want to make sure the infrastructure is there. Are there any volume controls throughout the house? How many different rooms or zones are there in the home.

There will be plenty of options as far as an amplifier/receiver, but for wireless audio transmission, Bluetooth is usually not good. The range is limited to about 30 ft in perfect conditions, and the audio quality isn't much better than the range in most instances I have used. If you have an iPad, Airplay is the way to go. Get either an Airplay equipped receiver of some sort, or get an AppleTV to add to something you buy. Are there any other audio sources you would use, for instance Satellite radio, Am/FM, Cd, Tape, Vinyl, any streaming audio, ETC?

In short, what you are doing is doable for sure, it's just a matter of finding out exactly what you're working with, and what we can do with that.

Every room has a volume control in it and the speaker wire that the old NuTone system use is a small gauge but it does sound pretty good.

My plan would be to run everything through the internet and iPad but I have some old vinyl that would be fun to listen to. Thanks for the AIrPlay tip I'm going to investigate that!

How small is the wiring? Can you read the label on the cable jacket? Do the volume controls seem to be working fine?

It's like one single wire that connects to the volume control. I was skeptical that ANY sound would come out of the speakers but they sound full and rich.

Volume controls work great!

I'd just get a multizone receiver with airplay and call it good. Might have to get a selector switch with impedance matching but that all depends on how you rewire them.