Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
davebilsborough

The Perception Of Audio Quality

4 posts in this topic

Hi everyone.

I'm a masters student at the University of Salford researching the perception of quality within recorded audio and wanted to know any opinions you may have on the subject....

How do you feel about the differences between CD quality and MP3/AAC playback formats? Does the loss of quality bother you?

Also if you have a few spare minutes please complete this short survey on listening habits, it would really help me out a lot

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?usp=drive_web&formkey=dHkyQ0FfcEFNRlpoQzN ZejkzNlZpTGc6MA#gid=0

Thanks

The google Docs link did not work.

However I feel the difference depends of quality depends on the situation and the content. If I am listening to music in the background, I do not mind if it is lower quality because I am not listening as closely. Same with spoken word like stand up comedy. If it is intelligible enough that I can understand clearly, the audio quality is of little concern. The only time I am concerned about audio quality is when I am listening to music for the sake of listening to music. Even with higher quality formats, there are issues with mastering. There are albums I love, but lack dynamics. Many people would attribute this to the "Loudness Wars" . M83-Hurry Up We're Dreaming is my best example. I love the album but the CD version is almost listenable compared to the Vinyl.

Hi everyone.

I'm a masters student at the University of Salford researching the perception of quality within recorded audio and wanted to know any opinions you may have on the subject....

How do you feel about the differences between CD quality and MP3/AAC playback formats? Does the loss of quality bother you?

Also if you have a few spare minutes please complete this short survey on listening habits, it would really help me out a lot

https://docs.google....Q0FfcEFNRlpoQzN ZejkzNlZpTGc6MA#gid=0

Thanks

Good day Dave.

First of all your survey is not working.l

Like Todd said , it compleatly depends on ones mood how music is percieved.

One can be picky of the audio or dont care a dam and dont even notice the quality.

I have a wind up gramaphone and a heap of 78 scratchy records, the contents of such will never be obtainable..

When i am in the mood I play my little treasures as they have an unique sound to them , very pleasant .

.............................Alan

From records to tapes to CD and compressed audio formats. All I can say is yes. It does bother me. You need a decent set of speakers combined with a decent amp to understand why compressed audio sucks worse then the cassette. 

If you talk to most audiophiles, their preferred media type will be records or CD's. My preference is CD, only because I dont yet own a turn table. Although compressed audio has come along way since the early 2000's. There is nothing like having to have software in your reciever to uncompress the signal to round out the almost CD sound. MP3's tend to be full sounding. Simbles in a recording sound like keys jingling. CD's don't do this. Plus owning the media is better then having to pay a fee to stream it.

A good record player bests a CD in the fact that it doesn't get much warmer sounding then that. I hope this gives a little insight into the world of audio.

1 person likes this