Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
daryl308

Where To Go To Audition Speakers?

5 posts in this topic

Hello, this is my first post on your forum so I hope I put it in the correct sub-forum. I'm soon to be 60 with old school tendencies. I'm strictly a 2 channel music guy. Lately it's lots of Pink Floyd, and mostly classic and alternative rock with a dash of classical music and Boston Pops thrown in. I recently replaced my aging Pioneer 828 with a Yamaha RS500. It's spec's say it puts out 75 watts RMS and about 105 watts peak at 8 ohms. I would like to replace my old speakers. Just 2 speakers, no sub woofers, no surround sound. I live in the Los Angeles area (sorta), and I can't get a lead as to where on Earth I can go and actually listen to and compare speakers like I was able to back in the early 1970's when stereo shops had speaker show rooms. I'm looking for a pair of 12", 3 way speakers. All I can find is reviews and opinions of speakers online. I'm leaning toward getting a pair of Cerwin Vega VE 12F's. They are rated by CV at 300 watts peak, and sensitivity is stated at 93db's. Does my Yamaha have enough oomph to power these speakers to a reasonably or even an unreasonably loud level??? Or maybe perhaps a pair of Infinity 363's??? or BIC??? But again, I have not been able to find a place to hear them. I have listened to some Klipsch speakers at Best Buy and was not impressed with them even though they had two 6" or 8" woofers and a sub woofer hooked up with them. My cheap, old, broken down KLH's sound better that the Klipsch's I heard. I know my stuff is nowhere near "high end" equipment and I'd like to keep the cost of the speakers under $600 a pair. Anyway, can anyone out there step up and tell me where to go??? to audition speakers, that is. Thanks in advance.

Good day Daryl.

I have absolutely no idea where in USA to audition speakers , as I live in another country ,but, I am sure the local members will be able to point you in the right direction as to where to go .

The English speakers of old did have a sound of their own . I suppose one could call it mellow.

I would call it rich in 3rd harmonic distortion and a limited frequency response.that can be very pleasant to the ear !

The old time American speakers were known to be over bright . I would call peaks in the lower treble .That can be very tireing to the ear . and not that pleasent to the ear.

Cerwin Vega is not known as a class speaker . Sure they are very efficient .

The rule of speakers is for every 3 db increase in efficientcy you can use an amp of Half the power .eg if using 100w amp with a speaker 89db/m , you can get the same audio output by having a 50w amp with another spkr with an efficiency of 92db/m or 25w amp 98db/m so on .

I have Klipsh speakers that are very efficient and next to nil distortion . I find Klipsch a very lifelike speaker, That suits me but evidently not you , fair enougth.

By the way where you audition a speaker the acoustics are going to be not the same as home and that has a massive differance to the sound.

If you can find a shop that demos the English Tanoy speakers that could be more up your alley .

Try all demo speakers ,you are sure to find one that suits you.

All the best Daryl ................................Alan

I'm from Minnesota, and the last place I knew that you could truly go into a room and Demo a stereo set-up was where I sued to work and they are now closed. Hi-Fi shops with dedicatewd listenbing rooms are becomming harder and harder to find. I would go to google maps and search "hi-fi" or "audio store" or anything audio related and call around until you find a place that demos speakers. Beware of car audio shops, they may have a demo board but a lot different from home audio.

I was suprised you didn't like the Klipsch, but the models I have seen at best buy are not top tier models either. I love the Klipsch reference series. Some find them to be bright, but as Alan pointed out, Klipsch speakers are "lifelike", just accurate in general.

All the best of luck on your search.

Well, thank you both. After 40 years, maybe my ears are just too used to lower end speakers. Change is difficult for me. I don't see how two 6.5" speakers can sound as good as a 12". I'm also having doubts that my cd's sound as good to me as my old collection of vinyl. Aaaah, maybe I'll just go fishing instead. :rolleyes:

I have a couple systems in my apartment. I have a full analog system with a recors player, solid state receiver and Scott S-10 speakers. I understand your likings as well. The S-10s are a two way system with a 10" driver and sounds wonderful.