Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
natrona

Newb With A Question About Powered Subwoofer

4 posts in this topic

I joined the forum because I am getting back into the home audio thing a little bit. Also I have a question for all the experts on here. I know I dont have all fancy stuff like you guys do, so dont judge me on for a couple cheap audio equipment pieces I have. I have a Pyle 12 inch front firing 500 watt peak, powered subwoofer. I was looking to upgrade to maybe a yamaha klipsch or cerwin vega or something. But I'm not crazy about the price tags on those things. I was wondering (in all your professional opinions); do you think it would be worth it to replace the sub in the pyle? I was thinking of getting a Dayton Audio RSS315HF-4 12" Reference HF Subwoofer 4 Ohm from parts express. Would it be worth putting a good sub like this in my pyle box? I can make it fit good, I am pretty handy. Also is the amp good enough for a nice sub like that? I wonder this because I think I paid less than $200 for the pyle powered sub, I know you cant buy a 500 watt plate amp for under $200. So should I put a good sub in my enclosure with the factory amp? Or should I save my pennies and go for a yamaha or cerwin vega or something?

Gooday Natrona.Welcome to the Forum

One cannot just fit a differant driver to a sub box . Sub boxes are enginered for one brand of speaker . so changing it usually does not usually work .

Why do you need more sub bass . What do you use the sub for. And what size room do you have...........................Alan

I don't have top end stuff, and like you I can't fathom the ridiculous prices of the stuff people on here have. Needless to say they have what makes them happy, as I do as well.

I usually have a low to mid entry level receiver. But I did splurge and bought a Yamaha RX-A550 (not the Bestbuy model) from the guys at Nantucket Sound. This is my first venture into audiophile territory. 

Sometimes it is not about how expensive something is. You could get used stuff that sound great, but be careful even with that. Some people think their 20 year old junk is worth as much or more today... Lmfao!

As for the sub, it's not usually the amp that needs help. It's the driver. Generally speaking, yes you can replace the sub with something better. Since it should be 4 Ohms you can get away with almost any sub.

If the enclosure is baffled and heavy, then the enclosure is worth refitting, but I would spend something on much better, like a Pioneer or Sony. Subs don't care to much about box dimensions as long as it has the space to breathe. I have an old 8" RadioShack woofer in a Tivoli design subwoofer. It sounds a million times better!