Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Se7en

Some Pics!

23 posts in this topic

I figured I'd throw up some pics of my system in various states. You'll also notice that there are multiple residences involved (I follow my work a bit).

In any event, thanks for looking and let me know if you have any questions.

System in old place (San Francisco)

DSC_0217.jpg

DSC_0219.jpg

DSC_0477.jpg

DSC_0475.jpg

DSC_0482.jpg

Same system without the tubes or screen in new place (Austin)

DSC_0279.jpg

nice, what projector are you running in this setup?

The projector was nothing special. Panny 900 1080i. The screen was where I invested. It is a Screen Research acoustically transparent. 92" (it was a small room).

Those towers look very impressive. I love what appears to be a dual sub woofer set up. Can you provide us any spec or parts list for the rest of us?

Those towers look very impressive. I love what appears to be a dual sub woofer set up. Can you provide us any spec or parts list for the rest of us?

Sure. The system has changed around a few times over the years.

The towers are VMPS RM30s. The solid covers are constant directivity wave guides. I chose these speakers because they are very tunable.

They have an Aurum Cantus sourced tweeter (G2SI) which has be dehorned to work better with the wave guide.

The mids are 8" ribbons playing from 270hz to around 7khz.

The midbass section has two active 6.5" drivers and two 6.5 passive radiators. The Passive radiators are located in the port at lowest point of the speaker. These radiators are treated with non hardening putty which can be removed or added for tuning.

Lastly, the speakers have a side firing 10" woofer.

The dual subs are Martin Logan Abyss. I have now changed to Rythmik servo subs which are an amazing value and in my mind are much better for music than the ML.

Amplification:

Mid bass was powered by a Carver ZR1600 pro amp. This was a Tripath based Class D amplifier which actually sounds good enough to run the entire speaker off of. In this case, I was biamped though.

Mids and tweeters were powered off of a custom built Bruce Moore 50w class a monos. I wish that I still had those amplifiers.

Preamp:

Tact Audio 2.2x. This unit is modified "top to bottom" (power supple, dacs, ADC, digital boards, etc.) by Arberdeen components. This is basically a room correction system.

I'm now also using a Tact Audio 2150x pure digital amplifier. When I say digital, I don't mean analog class D. This amplifier although it uses a class D architecture does not go into the analog domain until the actual speaker outputs. Picture a DAC with enough voltage to drive speakers and you have the Tact amplifier. I'm pretty happy with it and when I scrape together enough cash, I will be able to daisy chain several of them together in a fully active system.

1 person likes this

Wow! Very nice. Thank you for going into detail. I would love to afford a pair of Aurum Cantus ribbons. The 8" ribbons you are using, have an impressive frequency range.

Wow! Very nice. Thank you for going into detail. I would love to afford a pair of Aurum Cantus ribbons. The 8" ribbons you are using, have an impressive frequency range.

Thanks for the compliment. Believe it or not, the earlier iterations of these ribbon mids were actually run from 170hz to 10khz!!! They were configured that way in the RM40 monitors and over the years they narrowed the frequency range in favor of greater dynamics. In their current configuration, they're feel almost as dynamic as some high efficiency horn setups I've heard. At some point, I'd really like to run them fully active. That would take things to a whole new level. VMPS is now offering active configurations using the Behrenger DCX 2496 but that would require that I drop my Tact amplification (which I won't). So, I need to be patient.

I'm pretty happy with the Aurum Cantus but would offer that the Raal tweeter units that Selah Audio is now using are in a different class altogether. Those tweeters are truly world class.

RAAL

The RAAL's look quite capable based on the info on their site. But at the moment, they are probably well above my price bracket.

The RAAL's look quite capable based on the info on their site. But at the moment, they are probably well above my price bracket.

I'm in the same boat. A pair of Raals run about a grand.

This being said, if you take into consideration that the next step up from Raal is the $10K Acapella Ion tweeter, they seem like a relative bargain :)

acapellaviolin1.jpg

Ionenhochtoener_TW_1S.jpg

Parallel KT88s in SE? Very nice :lildevil:

My first impression was that those amps looked like OddWatts, Edcor transformers have those blue end bells :)

Parallel KT88s in SE? Very nice :lildevil:

My first impression was that those amps looked like OddWatts, Edcor transformers have those blue end bells :)

Yup..good eye :) And yes, the room would get plenty warm.

My same old 2 channel rig, still here in Germany.

Mains Focal 8Vs and Certec 1 3/16" Ceramic domes, 1st order series

Subs XXX18s

Main amp home made 100 wpc solid state

Sub amps Dayton HPSA1000s (not in picture)

Adcom Preamp

Outlaw ICBM sub crossover

Blah Blah DVD player

Power filter home made

2ch1.jpg

1 person likes this

Subs XXX18s

Adcom Preamp

Blah Blah DVD player

Power filter home made

I love the matching wood and the fact that you made the amp and crossover.

2ch1.jpg

I figured I'd throw up some pics of my system in various states. You'll also notice that there are multiple residences involved (I follow my work a bit).

In any event, thanks for looking and let me know if you have any questions.

System in old place (San Francisco)

DSC_0217.jpg

DSC_0219.jpg

DSC_0477.jpg

DSC_0475.jpg

DSC_0482.jpg

Same system without the tubes or screen in new place (Austin)

DSC_0279.jpg

I have been looking at Arum Cantus drivers, and was afraid of ribbons from a diy stand point. Beautlful house and speakers!

Subs XXX18s

Adcom Preamp

Blah Blah DVD player

Power filter home made

2ch1.jpg

that must really crank. nice wood work.

Subs XXX18s

Adcom Preamp

Blah Blah DVD player

Power filter home made

I think you may want to upgrade your substage a bit.....

:)

I LOVE IT!!