Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Warrensparadise

New Home Purchase, Existing Whole House System

3 posts in this topic

Hello!

I just bought a new house that has an existing wired whole house system. It has eight zones set up with seven of the zones having two speakers each and one "zone" that covers the three outside patios. Each zone has its own volume controls in room. The previous owner told me he just had a receiver, but I don't understand how he only used a receiver. Long story short I am shopping for the needed components and don't know what I need. Obviously a receiver of some sort, but do I need a speaker selector? Or how should I tie the receiver to the eight zones? I am fine with only one source playing throughout the property. Thanks for any input! I appreciate the help!!!

Thanks,

Warren

What you need is an 8 zone speaker selector switch with impedance protection built in. There are dozens of different brands out there that will do exactly what you want. Plus a receiver to feed the selector switch. Russound, Speakercraft, monoprice, are just a few I saw when doing a google search for and 8 zone selector.

Or you could get an 8 channel power amplifier. That would be ideal. More dedicated power to each zone, and the ability to have different sources on each zone. It will be more costly as the amplifier itself would be more expensive than a switcher and the need for a preamp/receiver to feed the zones. Parts express makes a 12 zone stereo amplifier with dual selectable sources for each zone.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-815

Sorry about the delay in responding back. It's been a busy few weeks.