Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
4Play

New To The Forum - Not To The Hobby

8 posts in this topic

Hi Guys and Gals,

My name is Tim and I live in Almost Heaven Country. I have been an audiophile since 1975 when the world of audio and different genre of music were open. This was during my first stint in College. The closest big city from my hometown was 50 miles away. The first and only true audio store was the Hi Fidelity Center. I became friends with everyone that was working there, and to me this was the best place to hang out with friends and was educated on the different brands they sold.

I came home for the summer and saved money to buy my first system, Harman/Kardon receiver, BIC turntable, and the original Advent speakers. Within the next couple years I updated to a B&O turntable and a Nakamichi tape deck. Fast Forward to 2012 my wife and were fortunate to buy our first home, and decided we wanted to add an audio system which consisted of an Onkyo TR-NX 509 network receiver, Infinity Primus P252 fronts, and an Infinity Primus P350 center. The Onkyo was a mistake as it had several issues and eventually died a few months ago. Our system consists of the Infinty speakers for now, which are connected to a Marantz SR5005 and a Denon DNP-720AE network audio player. IMHO dropping the network receiver was the best decision I made. We have a plethora of internet radio stations we did not get with the Onkyo. Once I replace the Infinitys with better speakers, we will have the ultimate home audio system.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hello to everyone and looking forward to gaining more knowledge, and I hope to add some advice if/when needed. Someone crank up the tunes and let's get this party started.

Happy Listening!

Thanks for the welcome. I forgot to mention that the B&O turntable and Nakamichi tape deck were stolen over 30 years ago. Last year was my first venture back into audio equipment and starting with nothing. It's been a labor of love getting back into the hobby and trying to figure out what our ultimate system will consist of.

Awesome Equipment. How does that Denon Network player work? What services can you get on that? And How do you control it? I would like a network player and have been looking at a Sonos Connect. Spotify is what I really want to have access to.

Welcome to the Forum

Awesome Equipment. How does that Denon Network player work? What services can you get on that? And How do you control it? I would like a network player and have been looking at a Sonos Connect. Spotify is what I really want to have access to.

Welcome to the Forum

The Denon is wonderful. There's a ton of music we can get without having an antenna hooked up. You can search by genre or location from around the world. The Ethernet cable plugs into the NAP, and you control it by the remote. I would recommend this over a network receiver and Roku or Sonos, which you need a display connected in order to operate it. It's worth every penny. Check it out here.