tclark62

Multi-Room Set-Up For New Apart. (Challenge)

7 posts in this topic

Here's a challenge, see if you can solve it, haha. So I'm moving into a new apartment soon and would like to have music in multiple rooms. Here's what I'm looking at:

I have one surround system and one speaker system that I've kindof rigged into a surround sound system. I would like to hook the official surround system in living room. I would then like to hook my makeshift surround sound up in the office. I would like to be able to control both of these systems through an iPad or iPhone. In the living room I would like the surround sound to be hooked up to 1) my computer (Watching movies and TV using XBMC, as well as playing music) and 2) my TV (for when I'm using the PS3). For the office system, I would simply like it to have the capability to play what the living room is playing (in the case it is playing music) and also have the capability to opperate independantly (in the case I would be watching TV on my computer and my wife wants to play music). Again, I would like to be able to control all of this via our iPhones or iPads. We have at our disposal the aforementioned audio systems, two iPads, two iPhones, a PC, and a MacBook.

I can make a few comprimises if necessary, but would love to be able to achieve all of this. I would like NOT to have to buy any additional equipment other than cables. Please let me know what I can do to make this work. Thanks for those of you who took the time to read this and have some input!! Please feel free to ask any clarifying questions!

Extra challenge: Also if possible I would like to incorporate two sets of computer speakers in the kitchen and bathroom, but I see this as basically impossible.

Unless every receivers you own is ipod/ipad supported, there is no way you will be able to accomplish what you want without purchasing something. If those receivers are not Apple capable, you will need some way to convert the commands from your iPod/iPad to a usable signal to your receivers I.E. IR or RS-232. It'd help if you could provide the model numbers of what you have.

Well, my thought was I could control the PC via an Apple device using the Remote app for iTunes or something similar if there's no other option. Is there a way to connect the two surround sound systems? I don't know about the one, but the one I have rigged has a headphone jack in and that's pretty much it. If it's in the office with the other one going into it somehow, that could work. I just don't know how I could hook the other one up to it or if this is possible.

Like I said, a couple model numbers of the equipment you have or snap a couple pictures of the input/output panel so we know what you are working with. You should be able to control your PC from smartphone or iPad, but I am not an Apple guy so I do not know how that would work. Apple makes thing pretty easy usually.

Quick google search brought up this article. Different apps to control your Macbook.

http://mac.appstorm.net/roundups/iphone-roundups/9-remote-control-apps-for-iphone/

1 person likes this

Hey Man, I know this thread is a few months old but I just joined up. I have this setup and I'd like to explain what I did. Basically I have a receiver in a bedroom that controls my outside speakers. That receiver is fed audio via auxiliary cable y-cable (1/8" audio cord) and a standard auxiliary cable from my laptop. Another cable I made from a 4-conductor telephone patch cord and a 1/8" Male audio connector (one end rj-14 connector, other 1/8" audio conn) plugs into the available port of the y-cable and then into my homes telephone wiring. Now in other rooms in my home I have made that same cable and fed it into other recievers. Now I can Bluetooth from my iphone to my laptop and play audio that way, or simply from my laptop. If you have that option available, I'd consider it. We don't use our home telephone wiring since we own cell phones so it seemed like a cheap easy way to utilize what was already in place. Write me back if this kind of thing is an option for you and I'll explain in better detail.

Thanks!

Never would have though to use old telephone wiring. Not a bad idea at all though!