Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
frostedflakejake

Need Help With New Surround Kit

15 posts in this topic

Hello!

So I ordered a re-surround kit from parts express for my RTR Series IV MODEL A woofer. I've never re-coned or re-surround-ed (yeah that's a word) before. Naturally, I'm trying to follow the tutorial video on Parts Express step by step. But it seems like there is a plastic spacer glued on top of where the cone is/was glued to the basket. (pictures below). I was wondering what I should do about this. Should i try and glue the new surround on top of the spacer/plastic thingy? Should i try and pry/rip it off? It doesn't feel like it's going to come off easy...

Thanks in advance :)

IMG_4457_zps80862966.jpg

IMG_4458_zps4a2ca6dc.jpg

IMG_4462_zps741b0b1f.jpg

You're going to want to rip that plastic ring off for sure. Be careful and go slow and try not to break it. If you do, no biggie either. If you try to glue on top of thatplastic right, it may have the tendency to want to pull the cone upwards instead of sitting in it's normal resting position. A little trick I learned, to get all the old foam and adhesive off the metal basket, take it to a wire wheel. It will clean all that stuff off in a hurry. Just make sure to be easy and get the cone with the wire wheel.

Should be a fun little project.

Okie dokie sounds like a plan!

. Just make sure to be easy and get the cone with the wire wheel.

Did you mean not get the cone with the wire wheel? Right?

CORRECT!!!! I need to proof read sometimes. Spell check doesn't catch what I am trying to say.

Haha i thought so! Well i got the basket cleaned up on one of them (doing them one at a time to learn from my mistakes). Used a razor blade and a screwdriver for about two hours before I realized I was a moron and broke out the Dremel. Got the shims in and everything ready to go and.....the glue in the pack was completely dry :( what adhesive should I use? I hear two part epoxies are used all the time for recones. I imagine I could use this for my application. Evidently fabric glue is also desirable? This seems like a really stupid place to get hung up on.

anyways, here it is! Clean and shiny waiting for new surround

IMG_4467_zps1d06a769.jpg

Rubber Cement works well. Or parts express sells a Speaker Repair Glue that I have used before. Seems to work well. I'll have to ask my service guy if he recommends anything in specific. He does a lot of speaker recones.

I'm afraid to order the parts express stuff in fear that it will come dried up again.

Thanks for the help! Greatly appreciated. For now I'll get the other basket/cone ready :)

Haven't listened yet! My roommates go to bed pretty early :/

I will say i used Aleene's Super Tacky Glue and it worked well!

Damn. I messed one of them up. Makes a buzzing noise on some frequencies. No noise when I move the cone by hand so I'm thinking poor dust cap adhesion?

That or some kind of failure at the triple joint. Pull the dustcap off and see if it still makes the noise. It it doesn't, likely the dustcap making the noise.