Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
todd.brust

Co-Axial Center Channel.

9 posts in this topic

Well I have been wanting to replace my center channel and I have been playing around with the Idea of a Coax center channel. Eminence has an 8" driver that you can mount a compression driver to the rear. I thought it'd be cool since I have the Coaxial Tannoys. Plus it would eliminate the problems associate with a horizontally mounted MTM set up. Just looking to see what other people think about the idea. The raw drivers can be had for less than $100 and then I would just have to model an enclosure and design a crossover.

Plus we need some more discussion on this forum.

Okay shoot!

I Posted over on AVS forum about this same topic. I know there is a ton more traffic over there and got some good answers. Seems my best bet would be to find a matching Tannoy Driver, build matching x-overs and built an enclosure. No one was opposed to the idea of Coaxial drivers so I think I am going to run with it.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1458658/coaxial-center-channel

Very good. Even better, a forum member there informed me that he has a Tannoy S8C center channel speaker. I am going to buy it off him. Saves me the need to track down a Tannoy Driver and Crossover, and then build an Enclosure. Plus the price I will be paying will be roughly the same as what the raw driver and crossover would cost me! No I am excited! But i still need a project. I have been without on for a while. Maybe upgraded book bookshelf surround? I don't Know now!

Todd , I love Tannoy's.

They have a very distinctive natural warm sound to them , A very good choice indeed..........Alan

I just got an older 2 channel Kenwood power amp for FREE. Hooked it up to the Tannoys and I thought they sounded good before. The dynamics are much better now and it is so crystal clear. Can't wait to get the center channel now. :D