spamn

Sonos? Whole Home Wireless System Advice Needed Please

3 posts in this topic

I have dabbled with many home audio systems in the past but nothing of this scale and have never messed with this new "HiFI" wireless stuff.

Basically, my buddy had a house fire and is redoing the entire house. We just got everything framed up and the insulation in. Before the drywall goes up, we want to make sure his dream home audio system is planned correctly. Unfortunately he went to Best Buy and paid them $100 just to plan a system for him. He was about to go through with purchasing it all ($4,000 for just parts) when I stopped him.

I feel that I can plan most of it and for a lot cheaper but am unsure about this new wireless technology and how it all links together. Is anyone familiar with the new Sonos line?

He was told to purchase an A/V reciever and use the Sonos Connect and Sonos Bridge to link his other rooms which would each have a Sonos 5 system in them. The living room will have in wall and in ceiling speakers and he's happy to have the external Sonos speakers in the remainder of the house.

Does this combination sound like the right way to go or are there other options out there that I am unaware of? He is not TERRIBLY concerned with quality so he's not looking for Bose or other high end brands but obviously wants to do it right the first time. I feel that $4,000 is overpriced for the specific merchandise they picked out and will choose other comparable items once I know the specifics of how this wireless whole home system works.

Thanks in advance,

Sam

Also, will a single Sonos Connect unit on the living room A/V receiver allow me to play different music on the separate Sonos room units and all be controlled via one controller (Iphone, etc) while also having the option to have all units playing the same?

I have used the Sonos Connect and it works great, but I have never tried to integrate more than one SONOs in a house. Why not do a distributed audio system, with a single Sonos connect with Volume controls throughout the house. Seems easy enough. Otherwise, I'd contact Sonos and ask how using multiple Sonos units will work. I am not the right person to ask that specific question.