alan monro

Australia Day

11 posts in this topic

Tomorrow (Monday) is Australia day . :P

We, Bundaberg are under a state of emergency. Nobody can go anywhere because of the floods and tornadoes.We are completely cut off from shopping centers, shops etc . But nobody is stressed out as over the years since settlement , I think 1770 , we have grown tough .

What i am not happy with is that we will miss out on the free barbeque at the park on Monday .The park is one big swamp at the moment and might be full of crocodiles. Dont get me Wrong, We don't mind the crocodiles at a barbeque , but ,they are guts-es. they are not happy with just one steak ,they want the bloody lot , One thing that we don't give them is a beer . Ever seen a drunk crocodile , they make bloody fools of themselves . :drink40:

Down the bottom end of Australia they are having bush-fires a bit of a laugh. :bigclap: .........Alan

Stay safe Alan, but make the best of it. :)

Thanks Niel .....................................alan

Hope all clears up soon for your sake. Even though you will be missing your BBQ. Damn Crocs.

Happy Monday however!

Thanks Todd . We are still cutoff from flood waters :lifevest: , but , it is going down slowly .We are taking things slowly :Jim:

By Monday it should be clear enough to get around . We are stocked up with food in the cupboards and freezer and frig , Also we have our emergency food boxes . We could probably last out for 4 weeks if we ever needed to . . We also have our own generator ,Any spare power I feed it to the swimming pool filter , must swim every day :fing34: . The gen is pure sign wave so we use it on computers TV etc without fear of spiking the circuit boards .

......................Alan

Sounds like you are well prepared for such events Alan. Glad to hear all it as well as can be. :)

Jesus, makes me feel really unprepared. I should keep a stock of bottled water. There have been times we have lost power for a couple days due to severe weather. We had snow with thunder and lightning on Monday. That was a new experience. Well it was kind of slushy so slushy snow. You get the idea.

We have to be well prepared in Aussie . It is a exciting place , anything can happen.

Todd its best to store water in those water fountain bottles . We have 10 of them , I forget how many gallons they hold but it should do.In a flood one does not drink the flood water , It is usually contaminated and dirty brown .

In case we have to piss off in a hurry , we have a trailer we can load with a very heavy duty 6 roomed Tent and all the gear , that includes portable toilet , generator Jerry cans of fuel , water , food , pets in the car . I will even take the wife :) . We can be completely independent for 4 weeks . Yes I am taking the fishing gear . ..........Alan

Jesus, makes me feel really unprepared. I should keep a stock of bottled water. There have been times we have lost power for a couple days due to severe weather. We had snow with thunder and lightning on Monday. That was a new experience. Well it was kind of slushy so slushy snow. You get the idea.

Todd, On the international news We saw the incredibly cold and snowy weather America is having . How do you put up with not having any audio for a couple of days when you have no power :morepower1:???? Having no food and water for a couple of days , fair enough . but , no HI-FI ,That is soul breaking :lol: ........................Alan

Luckily, I am not in the storm path. I should have plenty of power for all my music and video needs. But you can never be too prepared. I might have to get a gas generators just in case the power does go out. Haha or get an old hand crank phonograph!

Todd those wind up 78 rpm phonographs have a very unique pleasant sound to them . You can still find them if you hunt around . The old 78 records can be picked up cheaply from junk shops ( if you have them over there) .the needles are still available (steel or cactus) cactus sound good and don't wear the records as steel does . The needle has to be replaced after every play .

They are historic and a real talking piece when you have visitors . It can be really addictive hunting around for the records in old town junk shops.......................Alan