IncurableGeek

Alligator Clip Recommendation

10 posts in this topic

Back at ya with yet another newbie question.

I have a Denon AVR-2112CI 5.1 amp (see attached snippet) and would appreciate knowing what alligator clips are recommendable (make/brand/style). I am an "audiophile" and am of course using shielded cable (though not "Monster" cable - I'm not that much of a newbie!)

Btw, for what it's worth, I really appreciate the kindness of this forum.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I am not new to computers (can possibly help there) but am a complete barefoot newbie with AV. Thanks much to all. :gayhaaay1:

post-3702-0-77670600-1355439573_thumb.png

Good day,

Good to hear from you again .You seem a little bit confused in what you want   , Are you referring to the RCA plugs on your sub woofer to the amp .

Or , the speakers  to the speaker binding posts on the amp , or something else , Please , more detail in your inquiry and we will gladly assist you.

...............................Alan

Hey Alan, you have quite a good memory. No, I purchased from MonoPrice a very nice cable with RCA connectors for the subwoofer.

According to the Denon Amp manual, I can simply wind the speaker wire around the terminals. Problem is the screw-caps don't come out far enough, so winding the wire is a bit of a hassle. Plus I would like to do things in a more professional way.

Nope, I am talking about "the speakers to the speaker binding posts on the amp". (Please see attached snippet.)

Instead of wrapping the wire around the binding posts (caps don't unscrew far enough on some of the terminals), I can insert BANANA clips in the center hole.

Good, bad or ugly idea?

NOTE: I MAY HAVE INADVERTENTLY SAID "ALLIGATOR" WHEN IT SHOULD BE "BANANA CLIPS". SORRY!

post-3702-0-76211000-1355450668_thumb.png

I was going to recommend Monoproce or else the Dayton banana clips from Parts Express

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=091-1165

Don't knock monster too much either! They definitely are pricey for certain things, but their cables are a quality made product with a lifetime warranty (but how often do people break cables).

Hey Alan, you have quite a good memory. No, I purchased from MonoPrice a very nice cable with RCA connectors for the subwoofer. According to the Denon Amp manual, I can simply wind the speaker wire around the terminals. Problem is the screw-caps don't come out far enough, so winding the wire is a bit of a hassle. Plus I would like to do things in a more professional way. Nope, I am talking about "the speakers to the speaker binding posts on the amp". (Please see attached snippet.) Instead of wrapping the wire around the binding posts (caps don't unscrew far enough on some of the terminals), I can insert BANANA clips in the center hole. Good, bad or ugly idea? NOTE: I MAY HAVE INADVERTENTLY SAID "ALLIGATOR" WHEN IT SHOULD BE "BANANA CLIPS". SORRY!

How thick is the spkr wire??. I just use what you would call over there lamp cord .It is good for 100ft runs .Amps love to run into a resistance .

I have found due to making countless valve( Tube)amps and discrete (Transistor amps) over 50 years and many speaker systems and preforming many tests , that the thicker the spkr wire the more capacitance , and , amplifiers hate capacitance in their spkr output . I have found some amps tend to ring under those conditions (, become unstable) , Any nobody that is human can not hear wires . I have yet to find a person that can .

Anyway, Banana plugs are fine You will have no problems , Good luck .......................Alan

@turdburst, your Dayton banana clips are way more expensive than what I bought over at MonoPrice. Is it that the Daytons are better quality or MonoPrice is just lower in price than Parts Express?

@Alan, are you making an argument against shielded speaker cable (Monster, etc.) and that plain old electrical cord is adequate for audiophiles?

My cable is, I believe, 14 gauge with the rear speaker wires having heavier shielding (thicker) than the front.

For what it's worth, I built crystal radios way back when I was a kid, then moved on to tube equipment (aluminum chassis, bored out and inserted tubes, soldering, really old-school fun stuff)

Oh wow i didn't even read the description that it was 5 pairs! Yeah that's a way better deal. For all we know they could be the same thing.

@Alan, are you making an argument against shielded speaker cable (Monster, etc.) and that plain old electrical cord is adequate for audiophiles?

My cable is, I believe, 14 gauge with the rear speaker wires having heavier shielding (thicker) than the front.

For what it's worth, I built crystal radios way back when I was a kid, then moved on to tube equipment (aluminum chassis, bored out and inserted tubes, soldering, really old-school fun stuff)

No , I am not arguing , that is not my way , I hope i did not offend you. I am only openly displaying the results of my observations and tests over many years in a friendly way , that's all. I call myself amongst other things a purist and you call yourself a audiophile ,we both would like perfection with audio if we could, wouldn't we . There is nothing wrong with lamp cord no matter who uses it , and it is cheap, Shielded wire running into a very low impedance ( speakers ) seems an overkill . You asked us for our help , and our experience and advise . It should be listened to ,one does not have to agree . but you should not take offense , it is not intended to be personal .

I made my crystal set at age 6 .It was a lot of fun designing and building valve amps from the ground up , a bit lethal working on a amp with a 400v DC supply that would kick start an Jumbo Jet ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, its a wonder that we are still alive .

I was puzzled that the wire would not twist around the binding posts . Then I asked myself why so thick ,............................Kind regards .............................Alan.