Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kpmorris07

Indoor / Outdoor Setup?

2 posts in this topic

Hi Guys -

Home audio novice - bought a new house recently and the previous owners have a number of built-in speakers around the house (indoors and outdoors) that I'd like to start taking advantage of.

I have an Apple TV and iMac - I do need to get a new AV receiver obviously, but wanted to get advice / recommendations on the complete equipment outlay to meet the following requirements:

1. Play iTunes library through the speakers
  2. Play the likes of Spotify / Pandora through the speakers
  3. Support two zones (i.e. have music playing outdoors, but the TV playing indoors)

All the best -

Kevin.

It all depends how you want to play these formats on the receiver. You can play all of these formats via a computer, tablet, smartphone etc. through an analog input. If you want to play these formats built into the receiver, you will need a networked receiver. I know Yamaha does a great job with the networked receivers. you can do Pandora, stream from a mobile device, play from iTunes, but no Spotify. Onkyo makes a nice network receiver too, but I've had some connectivity issues before using them, but Onkyo does Spotify. I am most familiar with these two brands. I am working on getting one of the two through work just to mess around with and learn more about. If you have a tablet or smartphone, you can do wireless network control which is really cool too.

Both brands make multi zoned receivers also. Either would be a good choice. I hope that helps a little bit. If you have any questions, make sure to ask them. I need an excuse to bring a receiver home and mess around with :)