Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ccr676767

Niles Speakers

10 posts in this topic

I recently had an installer come by my house and he is recommending Niles Speakers for my rears (surround) and also for the other rooms in my home I plan on installing (Dining Room, Florida Room, Front Porch, Pool, Living Room). This company was recommended by a few friends, but no one seems to know much about these speakers.

Anyone with experience? Good or bad?

Thanks

1 person likes this

Buddy of mine has heard some before. He said they were "okay", but also commented that he has "never been blown away by in wall/ceiling speakers".

I have worked with a few different in ceiling speakers, and the Electro Voice Evid in ceilings were the ones I was most impressed with, but I have never heard Niles and from the looks of what I've seen, they specialize in in wall/ceiling speakers. SO if they specialize in that, I would guess they put out a good product.

Anyone have experience with this model OS-10 from Niles? Curious to know if it's worth it to them pick up from my local pawn shop. I'm guessing these are around 7-8 years old. Would like to hear any comments from those who have these. Would plan to mount under the soffit on the deck. The freq range is a bit narrow with 75 Hz - 21000 kHz. Sensitivity, 89 dB. Impedance, 8 ohm.

Behind its narrow grille is a sealed, two-way system with a 1-inch dome tweeter and a 5.25-inch woofer—both of which are rear-mounted drivers. The OS-10 is just a tad bigger than the Boston Acoustics Voyager Pro and about average in efficiency. Niles is a very popular brand with custom installers, and features like drainage channels around the input terminals, a hole for the speaker wire in the included U-shaped bracket, and prethreaded inserts for alternate brackets are some of the reasons why. At a little over 6.5 pounds, it's one of the lightest speakers of this bunch—an important factor when mounting up high.

I am sure they would work just fine. I'll have to ask my boss what he's using outdoors because his look similar to the Niles. I'll try to remember today when I am at work.

Well, after doing a lot of research/listening I went ahead and trusted the installer who recommended the Niles to me. A few friends worked with him in the past and he never tried to up sell me on anything that I didn't inquire about already. In many instances he directed me to less expensive options he felt would be more than suffice for what I was looking for. His prices were right in line with most everything I found online and in-stores. I still wonder what his margin is on the Niles hardware, but hey, everyone's got to make a buck and I am completely satisfied!

I ended up with the Nile CM730s for the rears to my Home Theater and also around the house (Front Porch, Dining Room, and Back Patio). I am pushing the zone 2 speakers with the NIles Power Amp. SI275 and the sound is crisp and plenty loud for what I was looking for. As in-ceiling speakers go, the lows are actually not bad. Todd, I would agree with your buddy, you can only get so much from in ceiling speakers. I was looking more for rears/background music use, with the occasional home alone jam session! These were comparable, if not better than most others I looked at. Of course, as rears go they also get the job done very well.

By the pool we used the Niles Rock Speakers RS 6 and, again, I am pleasantly surprised at the sound I get from these tiny, inconspicuous speakers. The only criticism I would have is that I would like a little heavier bass. That being said, they are plenty loud, crisp, and for everyday use the lows are fine and would not be missed by most. I am just being picky in that sometimes I like to get a little extra. My neighbors are probably pleased!

So far my Niles experience has been great. In comparison to some of the higher end in-ceiling speakers I listened to these aren't that far off.

As for the home theater I went with the Yamaha RXA810 3D Receiver to push a Jamo Sound bar (I was going for a clean look) and a Sunfire 10" sub. I have not played too much with the receiver yet, but everything sounds great! I am very pleased and surprised by the Jamo Soundbar. I was on the fence about this, but having the "clean" look was an objective of mine.

I also must mention the Universal MX880 All-In-One Remote. This thing is FANTASTIC. It doesn't skip a beat and works from good distance anywhere in the house and outside. I like it and it made my wife happy. The real upside to this is that I don;t need to worry about anyone messing with my settings of course, the first thing my buddy does when he walked in was start pushing buttons on the receiver! Just powered off and back on....done!

Thanks to Crown Audio (Orlando, FL) for the great recommendations for what I was looking for) and the unreal service. I promise, I am in no way associated with these folks, just really impressed with the way they took care of me.

Well, after doing a lot of research/listening I went ahead and trusted the installer who recommended the Niles to me. A few friends worked with him in the past and he never tried to up sell me on anything that I didn't inquire about already. In many instances he directed me to less expensive options he felt would be more than suffice for what I was looking for. His prices were right in line with most everything I found online and in-stores. I still wonder what his margin is on the Niles hardware, but hey, everyone's got to make a buck and I am completely satisfied!

I ended up with the Nile CM730s for the rears to my Home Theater and also around the house (Front Porch, Dining Room, and Back Patio). I am pushing the zone 2 speakers with the NIles Power Amp. SI275 and the sound is crisp and plenty loud for what I was looking for. As in-ceiling speakers go, the lows are actually not bad. Todd, I would agree with your buddy, you can only get so much from in ceiling speakers. I was looking more for rears/background music use, with the occasional home alone jam session! These were comparable, if not better than most others I looked at. Of course, as rears go they also get the job done very well.

By the pool we used the Niles Rock Speakers RS 6 and, again, I am pleasantly surprised at the sound I get from these tiny, inconspicuous speakers. The only criticism I would have is that I would like a little heavier bass. That being said, they are plenty loud, crisp, and for everyday use the lows are fine and would not be missed by most. I am just being picky in that sometimes I like to get a little extra. My neighbors are probably pleased!

So far my Niles experience has been great. In comparison to some of the higher end in-ceiling speakers I listened to these aren't that far off.

As for the home theater I went with the Yamaha RXA810 3D Receiver to push a Jamo Sound bar (I was going for a clean look) and a Sunfire 10" sub. I have not played too much with the receiver yet, but everything sounds great! I am very pleased and surprised by the Jamo Soundbar. I was on the fence about this, but having the "clean" look was an objective of mine.

I also must mention the Universal MX880 All-In-One Remote. This thing is FANTASTIC. It doesn't skip a beat and works from good distance anywhere in the house and outside. I like it and it made my wife happy. The real upside to this is that I don;t need to worry about anyone messing with my settings of course, the first thing my buddy does when he walked in was start pushing buttons on the receiver! Just powered off and back on....done!

Thanks to Crown Audio (Orlando, FL) for the great recommendations for what I was looking for) and the unreal service. I promise, I am in no way associated with these folks, just really impressed with the way they took care of me.

Honestly, that is the one and only draw back. It has to be professionally programed. The company does not share the actual programming software with end users. So it is apparently very difficult. However, after I played with it a little and realized what I wanted and how I wanted it the installers came back out to the house and set it up to my specifications. For instance, when I use my Apple TV 90% of the time I am listening to music, so it is set up to default in 5 speaker mode vs. Surround so I get full use of my rears, however a button was added to easily switch it over to surround mode.

In all of my research the only negative I found was that the programming had to be professionally done, so I expected as much. However, no problems at all and it works every time, the first time, which has not been my experience with other similar remotes.

I may have to look into those. Where I work now carries those so I could probably get my hands on the program...hmmm

I recently had an installer come by my house and he is recommending Niles Speakers for my rears (surround) and also for the other rooms in my home I plan on installing (Dining Room, Florida Room, Front Porch, Pool, Living Room). This company was recommended by a few friends, but no one seems to know much about these speakers.

Anyone with experience? Good or bad?

Thanks

Really sorry dear, i don't have any experience about it. that's why i can't share any information.....