Tirefryr

Line Array?

11 posts in this topic

I don't know much about designing them. I know they have good vertical control and the taller the array, the better control you have of lower frequencies.

Have yet to read this but this should help.

http://audioroundtable.com/misc/nflawp.pdf

We use a lot of Renkus Digitally steerable line arrays. Very cool stuff but the DSP behind the concept if far beyond me.

Set of Renkus-Heinz IC32.

NewUlm.jpg

Should be a fun build. Are you going to do two towers with 12 in each? Are you building your own crossovers?

Anyone know anything about designing a line array? I'm gonna get 24 of these puppies and play with them. Just have no idea where to start and Google was of no help.

http://www.parts-exp...99-012&scqty=24

Can I ask a question , Why ?????.

If it is to power a large hall ,fair enough . good Idea .If you pick better speakers.

I had a look at the Sony speakers and by the specifications they have bad low frequency response and very bad efficiency Spl 85db/w/m

If it is for home use multiple point speakers are not a good idea at all.

In the home , Having multiple points of sound (multiple speakers) of the same frequencies can cause some nasty phase and time distortions by the sound bouncing off walls and ceiling at different times .

Another thing is trying to have a stable amplifier at very low input impedance is very difficult and expensive . I assume that you would have all the speakers in //L???.

Believe me you are better of spending your money on a decent normal speaker system and spend a bit of time and money by stopping echos in the room , that is , improving the room acoustics .The latter makes an enormous difference to sound quality .If you clap your hands in a room and hear a loud echo the acoustics are wrong , The echo should be just noticeable .

I hope that I have been of some help to you . I don't mean to stuff up some project you were considering. ..........................Kind regards ..........Alan :wavey5:

When the drivers are a dollar a piece, it isn't a huge investment to make something like this. :)

i am just doing it to do it. I've always wanted to build an array and seen so many of them with decent results with cheap ass drivers, so for $50, why the hell not? Trust me, if I were at all concerned about these being anywhere near sonically superb, I wouldn't be doing it. It's more or less just an experiment but I have no idea where to start. Chances are, once completed they will be sold to a local idiot, or used in the pole barn.

i am just doing it to do it. I've always wanted to build an array and seen so many of them with decent results with cheap ass drivers, so for $50, why the hell not? Trust me, if I were at all concerned about these being anywhere near sonically superb, I wouldn't be doing it. It's more or less just an experiment but I have no idea where to start. Chances are, once completed they will be sold to a local idiot, or used in the pole barn.

If you have nothing else to do , fair enough.

Use a low impedance car amp . That is all that I can suggest . :ugh2:

Crap, just saw this. Did you buy them? Any idea on the tweets you are going to use?

There isn't much of a trick. Depends on the room they are going in a bunch though. That being said where are you going to put them?

Didn't buy them, probably won't. Figured I'd better finish my other projects before I start a new one.

Can I ask a question , Why ?????.

If it is to power a large hall ,fair enough . good Idea .If you pick better speakers.

Ouch, seriously? That really isn't the case. Plenty of benefits. Lower distortion, increase in sensitivity, better dynamics, more thorough room coverage, and of course these offset the need for "better" speakers.

I had a look at the Sony speakers and by the specifications they have bad low frequency response and very bad efficiency Spl 85db/w/m

And that is resolved EASILY when you use a bunch of them

If it is for home use multiple point speakers are not a good idea at all.

In the home , Having multiple points of sound (multiple speakers) of the same frequencies can cause some nasty phase and time distortions by the sound bouncing off walls and ceiling at different times .

Wrong. They are a great idea. A line array solves some of the nasties helping to eliminate the effect of the floor/ceiling reflections. Had you picked on the stretched overall height of the stage then I'd understand, but your quibbles are actually positives of line arrays NOT negatives.

Another thing is trying to have a stable amplifier at very low input impedance is very difficult and expensive . I assume that you would have all the speakers in //L???.

Series/parallel solves that concern as well. Rather easy, but requires you buy drivers with an impedance you can end up with a reasonable load. Not that hard at all. Different wiring patterns can change your crossover and even the response, but those things you deal with in the design.

I hope that I have been of some help to you . I don't mean to stuff up some project you were considering. ..........................Kind regards ..........Alan :wavey5:

Wouldn't exactly call your comments help...you may have tried, but if you don't understand something perhaps directing someone down a path isn't such a good idea.

Didn't buy them, probably won't. Figured I'd better finish my other projects before I start a new one.

Bummer. Loved the idea.