Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
todd.brust

Coax Cable Questions

2 posts in this topic

So here's the deal, my parents house is in desperate need of having all the coax wire replaced. It is all old RG-59 and they have had issues with flickering and channels simply not working on their HD receiver. They had the cable company come in redo the feed to the main TV but they did a horseshit job at it. Cables hanginging everywhere, not tired up enough, enough slack to make jumpropes with etc. To make a long story short, I am just going to pull new RG-6 to their 4 TV locations and put a network drop at each one. I'll do the network drops with Cat6 that I can get through work,but my question is with the RG6.

I just need to know if I should use single, dual, or quad shielded cable, or how much I would benefit using a higher shield count. I know the connectors differ but that's about it. I want to do this once so would it make sense to do the quad shield and not have to upgrade in the future for higher bandwidth requirements?

Another question would be splitting the coax signal. Any suggestions for a 4 output splitter? All the cable runs should be relatively short(>50 ft.).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Todd

First off ... That cable tv technician needs to have his ASS chewed and get back out there and do his job correctly ...

That sux in my book ... Hope he doesn't work for Comcast ...

Quad shield is the best ... but not necessarilly needed ... The main thing to consider is a good grade of shielding (alot of windings) ...

Shortest runs from point A to point B will be best ... And Good connections at each end are a must ...

A good 4 way splitter will be great (and reccomended) ... get one that specifies 5 mhz to 1 ghz ... return path (5 to 45 mhz) and forward path (55.25 mhz to 1000 mhz) ...

If you can, put the splitter at the "on the side of the house" junction point (grounded to electrical to prevent hum and lightning strike travel) and home run each outlet ... Thay way maintenance will be easy ...

A 4 way splitter splits the signal 4 times (7 db per output leg) ... say if you have 10 dbmv on channel 2 (55.25 mhz) and 14 dbmv on channel 70 (499.25 mhz) at the grounding point, you add your splitter, then you have (at each output of the splitter) ... 3 dbmv on channel 2 and 7 dbmv on channel 70 ...

Make sense ??? The ideal input signal to your tv devices is 0 dbmv (all channels) ...

Hope this helps Sir ...

Randal ...