02.R1

Selecting A Woofer

20 posts in this topic

I've been considered putting a woofer in my weight room to go along with my current speakers and receiver. I am currently running an older Yamaha Natural Sound Stereo amp A-28 with two Yamaha NS-A100 speakers. I'd like to add a woofer to have some extra bass with my music. The dimensions of the room are 92 inches high, 235 inches long, and 130 inches wide. I'd like to make a box for the woofer around 4-6 cubic feet, I'm not really sure what the tuning should be, I've built a few systems for cars but never for home use. I would like to keep the budget as low as possible, so I'd be fine with a used amp and woofer. My music preferences are mainly rap. All the help I can get would be appreciated, thanks.

What do you mean by rap and what is as low as possible?

If its truly low, buying something pre-finished and used from CL is probably the cheapest.

I listen to modern rap like lil wayne and young jeezy. I currently have a Mach 5 ixl 15.1.1 with a sundown 1000 watt amp in a 3 cubic ft box tuned to 35 hz, I really like that set up with the music I listen to. I've found a group buy on the MFW15 http://www.diysoundgroup.com/MFW_15.htm I'd like to keep the budget for the sub around $100 and I'd like to keep the amp around $150 used and a little more if it's new. I'm flexible on the size of the box but I just don't want to make it too large because space is an issue. I did send an email to the person on cl about the paradigm, just waiting to see if they still have it.

IE, http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/ele/2366921343.html

No experience with the PDR, but would expect it to be great for $125.

Didn't see much else in Cincy (where your sig says you are...)

If that add is the real thing and the sub is in good condition, buy it! The PDR-12 is older and no longer made. I did listen to one when I was looking for my set up and was told it was not for sale so I went with the PDR-100.

Here is a decent link to the PDR-12. If I lived closer I would check it out.

http://www.goodsound.com/equipment/paradigm_pdr12.htm

1 person likes this

If you copy the MFW box you'll need the bass boost as they intentionally undersized the box. That being said I'd personally lean on a more modern driver like the Dayton HO/HF, but that will come at the cost of output with the 240w amp. It would leave a lot of room to upgrade in the future though and most likely will still reach the reference levels that you need and only exceed your budget by a bit.

In that budget realm, I'd still pursue a used complete sub. There are a lot of costs you have to put on top of the amplifier & driver that I don't see you referencing. Things like wood, glue, screws, acoustic foam, and so on. I'd expect that to easily eclipse another $50 if not $100 which makes something pre-finished rather interesting.

That being said you could then just look at a kit to offset those costs although most in your budget will only be for 12's.

I got an email back from the guy on cl selling the paradigm. I'm gonna go ahead and buy that. Thanks for your help.

So far I really like it. It sounds really good with music and has the bass I was looking for. Thanks for all the help I couldn't of built a box, found a sub, and amp for double the price I got the paradigm for.

:blink:

Glad you like it. Now we need some pictures of it. :lildevil:

x2

pictures make any thread better!

So far I really like it. It sounds really good with music and has the bass I was looking for. Thanks for all the help I couldn't of built a box, found a sub, and amp for double the price I got the paradigm for.

That's why I linked it for you. :) I am huge into DIY, but it doesn't always make sense. Super great to have a starting point as well if you get the upgrade itch because now we won't be grasping at straws on your goals if that happens. On the plus side, in 10 years you'll be able to sell that for what you have in it or at least really close.

I was there when you hooked it up :) it does sound good

Can't beat it for $100

Hell no! You got the best deal!

I have all Paradigm in my house and love it! Hard to beat for price and sound!