Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Deephaven

2 Channel - Nearfield Speakers For My Office

13 posts in this topic

Since I had no luck selling my old Pio Elite receiver on CL I thought I should at least put it to good use. Driving the crap Infinity's that I've had for the past few years I wouldn't consider good use. Considering I had some spare wood in the garage I thought putting to use some full rangers would fit the build for a nice near field solution. No need for ultra high dynamics as most of the time I am in my office I am working. "Settled" on using a TangBand W4-1337SD which is really a hell of a 4"er. In an effort to save time and expedite things, in particular since atm I have no data acquisition system at the house I built them based on Jed's design from HTGuide. This also allowed me to finish them in only a couple hours instead of spending weeks getting everything in order. My initial impressions are that I am going to love these, but have only had the opportunity to listen to Pandora through my crappy laptops soundcard so a more in depth review will happen later when I get my music server piped back into the office.

Here are some quick build pics. If I truly fall in love with these I surely may rebuild them in nicer boxes. This was just some leftover ply that I picked up at HD. It is their best quality but not quite void free. I didn't feel like bolting on the trailer to go and grab some mdf and figured as an experiment that it would be good enough.

I built these basically over two lunch breaks with a little soldering last night. My initial impressions are such that I wish I would have spent more time on the enclosures, but considering the minimal cost in money and time it won't be too hard to replace them in the future.

Empty boxes

img8025x.jpg

PE Vinyl Damping

img8026dl.jpg

img8027r.jpg

PE Sonic barrier 3/4"

img8028w.jpg

Holes cut

img8035s.jpg

img8036k.jpg

Front

img8038x.jpg

Binding post

img8039b.jpg

Installed

img8040j.jpg

2 people like this

Guess that was the project. :thanx: .

Turned out to look pretty good too. I wouldn't even bother making any new enclosures if you are pleased with the sound and design.

I haven't used or messed with any full range drivers before, but my question is do they perform well in the higher frequencies?

WOW! Great build Sean. I kind of like the natural look.

Nice home office addition!

Turned out to look pretty good too. I wouldn't even bother making any new enclosures if you are pleased with the sound and design.

I haven't used or messed with any full range drivers before, but my question is do they perform well in the higher frequencies?

Thanks.

Stellar in the HF, but the sweet spot is small. Stage isn't, but you really need to be on axis. Atm I have to recline to get it there, but some sort of mini-stand will be added. :thanx: Exactly why you always see me harp on setting up 2 ways with a midbass and full ranger only if they are on axis.

WOW! Great build Sean. I kind of like the natural look.

Nice home office addition!

Thank you. I too am a huge fan of natural. Scandinavian in me I guess.

TV stand I built a while back...for a CRT. Now it holds a 55" LCD.

tvstand.jpg

Was rushed to take the pic which is a shame considering I have wire management built into the back of it.

2 people like this

Nice looking stand! When you have time would you be able to show how you incorporated the wire management?

Details on tv and speakers are now required. :thanx:

Looks good. What does your crossover look like? I think you mentioned reducing your BSC, is it somewhere around the 1.5-2dB mark instead of the traditional 3dB? Also, what TB driver is this?

Nice looking stand! When you have time would you be able to show how you incorporated the wire management?

Details on tv and speakers are now required. :)

Speakers are Def Tech and they sound like shit, don't buy them. Terrible for their location, but I am not sure what I want to build yet to replace them. I have ideas but hmm.

Sammy 55" LED LCD. That is the Panny plasma that was for the bedroom.

LCD? I thought you were a Plasma guy.

I am. Windows in this room are exactly the only reason the LCD's should exist. Basically it is a big ass sun room :)

Looks good. What does your crossover look like? I think you mentioned reducing your BSC, is it somewhere around the 1.5-2dB mark instead of the traditional 3dB? Also, what TB driver is this?

I only have really out of focus pictures of it from my camera phone. Details here:

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=27583

I'll let you know what I finally settle on for BSC later when I am settled.

Looks great. Are they powered by their own little amp or direct signal from the CPU? :)

PC to Pio Elite Receiver atm. Soon to be adding some sort of wire transfer from my Squeezebox/Home Automation system. Have to carry audio over 50' of Cat6 and I only have one cable pulled so I have yet to determine how that is happening yet. There are a few options but I am searching for the most cost effective.

<--------------Not a Fan of Def Tech either. After working at a place the sells and repairs them, made me realize how cheaply they are produced. The amps for the subs go out all the time and they use very cheap parts. I've seen better quality crossover parts use in a car audio crossover.

I bought them when Audio King allowed you to trade-in every year and upgrade. Never meant to keep them, they just fit the price that I had for the upgrade that year. Regrettably I brought them in a week late on the last exchange and got stuck with them. That was in the early 90's. :) Until this house I didn't really have a place for anything better so I didn't care, but now...