Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Deephaven

Hdmi Over Cat5/6

24 posts in this topic

These are finally cheap enough for me to take the gamble. Has anyone tried these or something similar?

1080p over 20m and 2 cat6 cables for $20. I am thinking about buying 4 sets and a multiplexer to split my cable box out to all of my tv's. Conveniently I have already pulled the cat6 cable.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10425&cs_id=1042501&p_id=6177&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

Splitter:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011301&p_id=6193&seq=1&format=2#description

So what do you think?

No experience with this exact thing, looks like it will work. I would be very interested to see your results with it...

I've never ran HDMI over Cat6 but our IT guy and I have discussed it since we thought we were going to have to on a project (wiring a mobile truck with HD and audio). If I had to make any lengths of runs with 1080p I would be doing shielded cat6 though, seems like the way to go to me.

I ran shielded cat6. Nothing like this has been under $200 until these came out that did full 1080p, 1080i sure but I don't want to do this twice.

I suppose I'll order a set and try it out.

Any idea how I can tell if they aren't working? ie a way to tell if the picture has degraded or is no longer interlaced?

I know Extron and Gefen make things that do this, but I'm not sure if the prices will be any better...most likely not.

Orders of magnitude higher. Haven't bought these yet, but am getting close :)

If they don't work, they'll get returned.

I've never even heard of this.....

I thought cat 5/6 cable was just good for making speaker wire or getting muh intarweb pron faster than wireless!

I do like monoprice so far and they have good quality for the price, accept their HDMI connectors are a bit loose. All HDMI connectors are loose, but some of them come loose more frequent that I think is acceptable in my living room situation.

Oh wow...Sean made a thread and asked for out opinion?! :) What is this world coming too?!?!

Video isn't my strength, although it doesn't seem too hard to figure out. Just had a party for the Vikes game today and have to say having all the TV's in the house pause on the DVR as I wanted and audio throughout the house was pretty sweet. Gave me time to do some things in the kitchen and really control the mood of the party while also playing the game :(

I used these for a re-mod in my loft. Had pretty good experience so far with them. I do have some flicker when watching Bluray through my PS3. Not sure if it is the video output from the PS3, the fact that my Onkyo 804 is starting to show its age =). I just ordered an Onkyo 3007 (should be here this Wed!). I will keep you updated on what I find.. BTW, very excited about the forum!!! :P

Dustin

I used these for a re-mod in my loft. Had pretty good experience so far with them. I do have some flicker when watching Bluray through my PS3. Not sure if it is the video output from the PS3, the fact that my Onkyo 804 is starting to show its age =). I just ordered an Onkyo 3007 (should be here this Wed!). I will keep you updated on what I find.. BTW, very excited about the forum!!! :D

Dustin

Mine will be coming out of an Onkyo 876 :) Curious to know what you find as I am wired and ready.

This is beyond my scope, but I want to add Monoprice ftw. They have good stuff for great prices.

I've shopped enough there they give me the 10+ piece price :D

Well, my 3007 came in today and I have everything running and there is no more jitter. So I highly recommend them. Great alternative to horribly long runs of HDMI cables and the need for signal amplifiers.

Dustin

Sweet. You have the same ones? If so, I am going to order some to arrive the day I return from Laguna Beach :)

Sweet. You have the same ones? If so, I am going to order some to arrive the day I return from Laguna Beach :woot:

Yup, The exact ones. Two solid days of running everything but water through them and no issues.

Have fun in LB!

Dustin

these dont seem to be bad.... Have tried cheap units like these in past. All seem to work ok up to about 50' or so..... They speck out to about 90' with cat6...... Since we run alot of hdmi/cat5 6 runs we are usually over 150' plus, so the cheaper units never work out for us, but if you are running a reallly short run, then should be no problem.

Conveniently my furnace room is not far from any one spot in the house. The longest run might be 50' though.

No, I am teh slow. Still want to and need to, but I traveled 20 days in January and am in Japan right now so time hasn't been on my side.

These are finally cheap enough for me to take the gamble. Has anyone tried these or something similar?

1080p over 20m and 2 cat6 cables for $20. I am thinking about buying 4 sets and a multiplexer to split my cable box out to all of my tv's. Conveniently I have already pulled the cat6 cable.

http://www.monoprice...at=1#largeimage

Splitter:

http://www.monoprice...t=2#description

So what do you think?

http://www.monoprice...at=1#largeimage

Splitter:

http://www.monoprice...t=2#description

So what do you think?

Good day Sean . Nice and not expensive . Should do the job as long as the signal from the splitter does not drop too low . You could allways get a booster if you run into trouble . try it and see Alan

HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!

Splitter:

HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!

So what do you think?

Just hit the order button. We shall see how they work. Supposedly some have had issues with Blue Ray which I don't have, but figure if my computer can work over it I'll be fine as I will add a Blue ray to my pc before getting one otherwise.