Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bob_345

2 Way Floor Standing Build

12 posts in this topic

Alright so I am ready for my first build on here. I will be building a pair of two way floor standing speakers with an 8" woofer and a 1" dual ring radiator tweeter. The drivers i picked are the 8" usher 8137 Kevlar/carbon woofer and the vifa xt 1" ring radiator. Il get a rendering of my design in solidworks tomorow,So stay tuned!

What are you doing for a crossover? Can't wait to see pictures. :(

I'm going to make a 12db/octave butterworth alignment. I'm going to xover at 4000 hz

I'm going to make a 12db/octave butterworth alignment. I'm going to xover at 4000 hz

Isn't that a bit high for the driver? I'm looking at it and it looks like it gets kinda nasty up higher. Just curious. :(

Isn't that a bit high for the driver? I'm looking at it and it looks like it gets kinda nasty up higher. Just curious. :(

Ya I guess so, nothing is set in stone yet so ya after looking over that graph again, I might cross it over at 3000 instead. If you have any sugestions, I'm open to any, this is only my second home audio build.

With a simple crossover I wouldn't be keen on using that Usher beyond 1k. Going to need a notch filter even at 12dB to knock out the resonance at 3.7kHz if you try to go higher. It really isn't such a good choice for a simple two way.

I would also not arbitrarily pick crossover points but would prefer to listen to the drivers together and choose afterwards. Part of the reason I still own my 880 :P