Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
todd.brust

Hdmi Over Cat 5 Problem

8 posts in this topic

We set-up a customer with a HDMI to Cat5 converter, then the converter to switch it back behind the TV. He is having problems with it cutting out all the time. The picture goes black then it comes back. He did all the wiring of the Cat5 so we have no idea if there are any issues associated with his wiring. We have him set up with an analog transmission over the Cat5, and it has lines in the screen like the signal is dirty. I think he may have ran his power along with the Cat5. My question is would that be causing the HDMI converters to not to work right? We are trying different ballasts, but I think the problem may lie with the Cat5 wiring done by the customer. Any other Ideas?

These are the exact extenders used.

http://www.amazon.com/Choice-Select-1080P-Extender-receiver/dp/B0015OL12G

the wiring could be the problem, but if it was the wiring then it would cut off all the time. One of the things that can be a factor is how long the cat5e is, and whether or not he used a power booster through the cable, if the connection is over 25ft this might be the issue. Also, maybe when he ran his cable he allowed the cable to have contact with a power line and this might be causing interference. Please let me know what the problem was

I still do know how that problem was addressed. I started a new job like 2 weeks after that. We do a lot of video over ethernet at the new job and have had few problems. It should have been well under the rated distance but definitely but it wasn't under 25 ft. 25ft is nothing for those extenders though. That one is supposed to be rated 60 meters for full 1080p. Pretty impressive if that were the case. Problem with that situation was that the home owner ran the cable and the company I worked for did not.

Not sure, I am using the $20 ones from Monoprice and run right over a power wire and have no issues. I'd bet the home owner fudged the Cat wiring. You could easily pull an external temp wire to prove that.

I would but that was a while ago when I still worked for Audio Designs. Oh well.

Ha, didn't realize the thread was old. Same new job you had a while bakc?

Yeah same new job from like 6 months ago. Haha not that new anymore I guess. I gotta get some pictures up of some of the cool installs we have done.

I'm still a believer that Video works better and makes a better picture with coax ...

(just the broadband technician in me I guess) ...

After years of this newer technology ... coax is ALWAYS the "Go back to" when these other connections does not work like they are suppost to ...

Sad part is some of the newer tvs do not even come with a coax input ... Seen one the other day (can't remember the name brand) ...