Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nealmunro

Nem's 2 Channel Set Up Transformed To 5.1 Now

121 posts in this topic

Ok as promised I am going to start my 2 channel build log. This is the first real home audio system I have put together and needless to say I have been reading as much as I could find and demoing different equipment. So here goes.

My wife came to me with this great idea. She want to get me some digms and a receiver for fathers day and our up coming anniversary (14yrs) and I was like WOW you have got to be teasing me. Well needless to say she gave me a budget and I went playing and listening for several hours at my local audio shop. I let my ears guide me with my own music and the out come was pretty awesome.

I deceided that the Monitor 7's were the best fit for my room (14'x14') althought the 9's were awesome I wanted to stay with in the budget. Believe me I play and tested the 7's and 9's for hours today on various receivers and amps. Now for the power I went with a Yahama RX-797. Nice little unit that provides 100 watts rms with a very nice damping factor. I was suprised what 100 watts can sound like. More than enought for what I am going to be doing.

Now on with some pictures to do this the right way!!

Picture of the 7's next to the 9's. Mine are on order because the wife wanted wenge' finish

P1010362.jpg

Everybody that pointed me to Paradigm Thank you!

1 person likes this

Figure while I am waiting on the digms, I would give some props to the place of purchase and some pictures from their shop. Nothing big, but they have been around since I can remember.

http://www.paulandtonys.com/

Walking into the shop.

P1010361.jpg

Main display without the 7's and 9's

P1010360.jpg

1 person likes this

Moved the 7's and 9's over to the power swich to try various receiver and amps.

P1010359.jpg

Picture of the owner Paul doing some wiring

P1010358.jpg

One warning on A/B'ing amps. 99.999% of people pick the one that is louder and don't pick anything else out. Sure they notice a "sonic" difference, but the choice comes down to output at the levels which are never matched in a store. Reflections can be a bitch.

btw there are a lot of speakers where I like the "step down" in the line better than the top. B&W 801 vs 802 is a great example. I have not compared the 7's and 9's back to back, but enjoyed both when hearing :P

One warning on A/B'ing amps. 99.999% of people pick the one that is louder and don't pick anything else out. Sure they notice a "sonic" difference, but the choice comes down to output at the levels which are never matched in a store. Reflections can be a bitch.

btw there are a lot of speakers where I like the "step down" in the line better than the top. B&W 801 vs 802 is a great example. I have not compared the 7's and 9's back to back, but enjoyed both when hearing :P

When we were testing other power options, there were ones that were louder. I am not looking to get loud and low end will be taken care of with my sub I will be building later. In my opinion the Integra was hands down the most detailed, but was way more than I would ever need.

As for why I chose what I did. The 7's really had the detail that appealed to my ears and I was suprise myself. I am not talking anything from the 9's they were awesome also.

The Yahama can be decoupled and act as a 2channel pass through which we also did while we were testing. For the money I am very happy, I can't wait to get them in the house.

Also let me add the owner was suprised that I wanted to do all the testing before I made a commitment. In my general area people just buy what is available at the giant stores. In his words "it is refreshing that I was taking the time to make sure of what I wanted rather than being like others."

I guess I owe that to you guys on the forum! The knowledge you all offer is second to none!

Thanks

Also let me add the owner was suprised that I wanted to do all the testing before I made a commitment. In my general area people just buy what is available at the giant stores. In his words "it is refreshing that I was taking the time to make sure of what I wanted rather than being like others."

I guess I owe that to you guys on the forum! The knowledge you all offer is second to none!

Thanks

Hey, we are all learning together. I have never heard the 9's, and I think I only heard the 7's once at a dinner party or something, but there were too many people talking to actually listen.

I set the recevier in place and ran some cables. Used some cheap speakers and everything works. Now the wait :P will seem like forever.

sweet store there. I'd like to find some stores like that, just to browse in.

When I go pick up my 7's I will take more pictures and upload them.

Sound check with some old aiwa speakers. They look vey small next to the tv and I am suprised at how they sound. I guess clean power can make even shitty speakers sound decent.

P1010366.jpg

All boxed up. They sure know how to pack these for shipping.

P1010373.jpg

Ok so I have played these for a couple of songs today and overall I am very pleased. I read the owners manual and there is a break in period that says to allow them to operate for severl hours before you listen critically.

I figure these will be fully loosened up by Monday or Tuesday and then I will see their range.

Here is a picture of an awesome sounding theatre and is way out of my price range.

P1010369.jpg

I uploaded a few pictures in my gallery to.