Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
eyecantcode636

I'm Looking For Suggestions On Upgrading My Audio System

15 posts in this topic

I currently I have a Sony HTDDW790 and I need to upgrade it before the Maywether vs Mosely fight. When I bought this system, my living was about 150-200sqft and now my livingroom ( new home) is roughly 400sqft. I'm looking to spend in the neighborhood of 300-500$ I'm looking for my front speakers and subwoofer to be a little louder. Can I get by with spending all my money on a very good reciever (Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, etc.) and then connect it to the speakers that came with my current system, go with another HT in a box?

Any suggestions?

PSI'm looking to get 1 on the following recievers to connect to the speakers that I currently have (until I get some better speakers of course)

Pioneer VSX-920-K (I don't know when this model will be released)

Onkyo TX-SR607

Sony STR-DN1000

I would put the VSX-1020 on the list, but from what I see, the additions to the 1020 don't serve any purpose for me.

Interestingly, you have chosen 3 receivers with 3 very different sounds. So what we can do is really offer you an idea of what they sound like, our personal opinions on their sound, and hopefully provide you with enough information to make the best decision for your personal tastes.

Pioneers offer a warm sound, very laid back. I personally favor Pioneer's sound, and I use them in my car (Pioneer Premier) and in my home (Pioneer Elite). While they tend to be laid back, they don't lose any detail.

Onkyos offer a bright sound. With this brightness comes a lot of detail. But my personal opinion is they tend to be too bright for my tastes. If your speakers use a soft silk tweeter, you might find the brightness appealing.

Sony is in the middle, somewhat laid back, but also somewhat bright. I have owned some Sony ES gear some years back when they were still really decent. But of late, their product quality has gone down hill. I find their gear to be rather muddy, and incoherent.

With all that said, i personally prefer the Pioneer unit. But everyone who offers their opinion will likely offer one colored by the gear they own... myself included, of course :P .

Something of note, if you plan on using your HT in a box speakers with the new receiver, chances are the difference will be pretty nominal. The receiver will put it's own stamp on the output quality, but the gains will likely not be terribly significant. The greatest gains you can achieve in your system will be in upgrading the speakers. Generally HT in a box speakers are really cheap mini monitors. A nice set of tower mains and a subwoofer will really provide the biggest bang for the buck.

I currently I have a Sony HTDDW790 and I need to upgrade it before the Maywether vs Mosely fight. When I bought this system, my living was about 150-200sqft and now my livingroom ( new home) is roughly 400sqft. I'm looking to spend in the neighborhood of 300-500$ I'm looking for my front speakers and subwoofer to be a little louder. Can I get by with spending all my money on a very good reciever (Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, etc.) and then connect it to the speakers that came with my current system, go with another HT in a box?

Any suggestions?

PSI'm looking to get 1 on the following recievers to connect to the speakers that I currently have (until I get some better speakers of course)

Pioneer VSX-920-K (I don't know when this model will be released)

Onkyo TX-SR607

Sony STR-DN1000

I would put the VSX-1020 on the list, but from what I see, the additions to the 1020 don't serve any purpose for me.

Good day ,

To upgrade your audio system don't forger the acoustics . Deaden the room with carpet or mats, or both .You will really hear an enormous difference to the quality of the music.and the room will be more relaxing

Heavy drapes ,a well padded couch does wonders also . Just clap your hands in the room and you will hear the echo that will be added to your music, it tends to muddy it. . That is why we reduce the echo within reason . The best room acoustics is an open field . ......................Alan

Well it looks as if I would have to get new speakers as well as the vsx 920 is 8ohm and the HTIB speakers I have are 6ohm. So are you confident that getting better speakers (with my current receiver), would increase my sound volume and quality? I would have guessed that the vsx 920 would most definitely increase volume and quality; but my knowledge of home audio equipment isn't very strong.

So tell me this, would my sound quality and volume increase considerably if I get better speakers along with the vsx 920? What are considered the better (high-end, mid-end, low-end) speakers anyway?

Speakers are what take the signal and reproduce sound. A good set of speakers will be at least 2 way, and up to 3 or 4 ways. A basic Mini monitor has 1 speaker, generally a 3 inch or 4 inch wideband. This single speaker does not have the surface area to reproduce low frequencies, nor does it have a small speaker that has the ability to respond quickly to produce high frequencies. Generally a 2 way offer somewhat significant depth, as it houses a larger speaker to allow for significant air movement for lower frequencies, and a tweeter, which is a very small speaker that uses light weight materials to deliver sound, as well as a small coil which lowers inductance... in laymans terms it can process and deliver the signal more quickly. If we go to a 3 way we have a larger driver to produce deeper lows, a mid sized driver that will handle frequencies in between the lows and highs (This speaker really delivers the meat of the frequency spectrum), and the tweeter handles the highs.

By getting better and larger speakers you are doing a couple things. First, as you have multiple drivers (speakers) they can each handle part of the work required to complete the task. Anytime we add more helpers to complete a task the job becomes easier, and the guys doing the job are more efficient... same with the speakers. Secondly, by adding more drivers we are increasing the surface area of the speaker system, and therefor the total output.

As far as high-end, mid, and low end... that is a rather loaded question. I could show you some million dollar speakers, or my favorites that sit at about $120,000 for a pair, to $250,000 for a complete 5.1 system based off these units... Low end could cost $5 or $10. The mid range could sit anywhere in between. So what exactly do you consider high, mid, and low end? This is generally based on a rough budget, and without one it is hard to advise...

Also, of key importance if you want advice on a system that might suit your tastes, we need to know what you are looking for. Do you like them bright, or laid back?

1 person likes this

First, Laid back and bright; please elaborate. $150,000 $250,000; are we talking about buying a house or speakers? didn't know I would have to spend that much to get more sound than the $190 HTIB that I currently have. I'm looking for a good clean sound (with more volume than I currently have) from my mids and highs and deep bass that gives more volume than I currently have. I'm trying not to spend more than $600(That is before the fight May 1) Then add as I go. If I had to choose as of right now, I would concentrate on increasing the volume (while maintaining quality) of my mids and highs.

Tidal Sunrays. The main pair costs $120,000...

TIDAL Sunray

sunwood-big.jpg

Tidal T1 (Sunray based system) at a cost of $250,000

TIDAL T1 - Master Reference System

The pair of Tidals I dream of having realistically at some point in my life, the Tidal Contriva, for about $65,000... I would get it in the crotch mahogany you see the Sunray in above though:

TIDAL Contriva

con08-pre.jpg

1 person likes this

Dude, you've spent over $300,000 on speakers :o Did you win the lotto or something :lol:

$600 is what I'm looking to spend right now.

Dude, you've spent over $300,000 on speakers :o Did you win the lotto or something :lol:

$600 is what I'm looking to spend right now.

I have not. I wish I could afford that. I could buy the Contrivas right now if I wanted to, but I am saving for retirement overseas. I have about 3-4 grand invested in my speakers as they sit right now, and I built them all myself (I built those mains in my avatar).

I have to get ready to go to work. We are slow this week, so I may have time to answer your other questions, but if not I'll answer them tonight when I get home.

First, Laid back and bright; please elaborate. $150,000 $250,000; are we talking about buying a house or speakers? didn't know I would have to spend that much to get more sound than the $190 HTIB that I currently have. I'm looking for a good clean sound (with more volume than I currently have) from my mids and highs and deep bass that gives more volume than I currently have. I'm trying not to spend more than $600(That is before the fight May 1) Then add as I go. If I had to choose as of right now, I would concentrate on increasing the volume (while maintaining quality) of my mids and highs.

Laid back means it sounds mellow and relaxed. High frequency information does not seem harsh, or exaggerated.

Bright means that the highs may be a bit forward. I would term it harsh or grating. Maybe aggressive might be a better way to put it.

Could you please link your system? It would help if we have a better idea of what you are playing with, and we should assume that you will upgrade at some point to the Pioneer you have listed, so we will make the speaker suggestions with that in mind.

Assuming the receiver is an average receiver, I think your best bet is a speaker upgrade. I will suggest the mains and center channel as the best place to focus the upgrade, as surrounds really provide little information, overall.

Well the subwoofer sucks but the receiver delivers 133 watts to the mains at 6 ohms which means it provides a doable 100 at 8 ohms. Assuming that you go with the Pioneer unit in the future, I will look and try to get you a decent front stage (mains and center) for $600. I am afraid the sub will have to come in the future based on your current budget.

In your opinion, can the speakers that I have do 133w? I didn't know my receiver was actually rated at 133w rms.

Who knew it would be difficult to find 3 good speaks, that aren't car subwoofers, for $600 :lol:

what about these:

subs

Amazon.com: BIC America F12 12-Inch 475-Watt Front Firing Powered Subwoofer: Electronics

Amazon.com: BIC America V-1220 12-Inch 430-Watt Down-Firing Powered Subwoofer: Electronics

Amazon.com: Dayton SUB-120 HT Series 12" 150 Watt Powered Subwoofer: Electronics

speaker systems:

Onkyo SKS-HT870

Energy RC-Micro 5.1

Onkyo SKS-HT540

Damn! The Onkyo SKS-HT870 has an impedance of 6ohm. That would be great for my current setup, but I plan on getting The Pioneer VSX-920-K or vsx-1020 which is rated at 8ohm. I like the tower look on the SKS-HT870

The onkyo-sks-ht540 is 8ohm which would allow me to upgrade to the vsx 920, but it doesn't have the tower speakers.

You know, since I'll be getting the pioneer vsx 920-k, I just can't take a chance on the Onkyo SKS-HT870 due to the 6ohm impedance. what about Harman/Kardon HKTS 18. Only 4 days until the fight.