Mark LaFountain

Hots

3,005 posts in this topic

Been sick on and off. Working on other projects but now I have a problem..

I badly need(audio from TV is becomeing too much to deal with) some audio processing in my living room and my bedroom. I also need at least 2 chan for these aplications.

For the living room I have a PS3 and cable. Bedroom is just a BRD player.

I would like to feed audio from my home server/pc to the livingroom, and maybe the bedroom. I'm not sure how much receiver I should be buying.... I have an integra that doesn't have HDMI but has optical. I guessed that one for the bedroom. For the living room though the W wants to plug in her ipod, and then she saw that some of them have DNLA and can run pandora etc. :drink40:

As for speakers...... I could break up the energy RC 5 chan system I have 3 for the livingroom and then the bookshelves for the bedroom..... Or I buy 4 new speakers....

WOW !!! Welcome back. Fun Trip ??

Not really fun, crapton of work. Kicked some kraut ass though.

Been sick on and off. Working on other projects but now I have a problem..

I badly need(audio from TV is becomeing too much to deal with) some audio processing in my living room and my bedroom. I also need at least 2 chan for these aplications.

For the living room I have a PS3 and cable. Bedroom is just a BRD player.

I would like to feed audio from my home server/pc to the livingroom, and maybe the bedroom. I'm not sure how much receiver I should be buying.... I have an integra that doesn't have HDMI but has optical. I guessed that one for the bedroom. For the living room though the W wants to plug in her ipod, and then she saw that some of them have DNLA and can run pandora etc. :drink40:

As for speakers...... I could break up the energy RC 5 chan system I have 3 for the livingroom and then the bookshelves for the bedroom..... Or I buy 4 new speakers....

Where are your sources, are you willing to hard wire, what needs to go from where to where?

sources are BRD player in bedroom, PS3 in HT and living room. Server is in room right next to HT.

I can run wire anywhere. Not one bit affraid to do that.

Can you define local control. Sorry I'm not sure I understand.

Ultimately I think I would like a system similar to what you are planning with whole home audio and lighting controll etc. I just don't want to have anything I can't take with me. The average maplewood home buyer would probably not value a change like that.

I have even gone so far as to think about moving the yammy upstairs too and finding something with multiple sub outputs for the main HT. That would be overkill for the living room in an extreme way however.

Local control would be volume, music change and such in the room where you are listening.

Hard wire is ALWAYS the best solution.

I will need some level of local controll yes. Hard wiring is fine I'm just hesitant to integrate too much into the home structure itself. ie place permamnent electronics etc.

What sort of local control had you deemed acceptable?

IE, computer in room, remote control only, wall switch, etc.

ALso what do you want to control locally? Just music, tv, ....

I would say each of the 3 rooms would need controll of the display, brd player.

In the HT I want to controll the music from the server(wich right now is in the same spot basically) and any other adjustability that I might desire. The Living room the wife wants radio, music from teh server/ipod, and maybe pandora also.

The bedroom wouldn't need to stream audio really, just be able to watch movies in bed without the HORRIBLE sound from the display. It's so horrible in that room. Ipod 3.5 to RCA would be just fine if I wanted bedroom music. Or laptop streaming to the server. I also have a spare tower I could dedicate to that room or the living room if needed.

Ultimately though I will want to have audio piped outside also, and maybe kitchen... Close living room and kitchen proximity make it a bit silly but then it doesn't have to blast in the living room to sound good in the kitchen. It would be nice when watching food network and cooking. :drink40:

As for outside speakers and kitchen speaks I don't care about the quality really and that's not on the menue now, but just something to let you know the ultimate goal for this house.

So both local and global sources in each zone.

Local control of volume and source in each zone.

Ipod input in BR.

Extra PC's are acceptable interfaces in rooms where you want control

?? Does every room that needs sound have a TV? Or at least close proximity to one?

Do you need to have different things playing in each room? If so, can one global source work and then the other source be local?

Which rooms need more than 2 channel music?

How many 2 chn rooms do you have?

I'd suggest a thread. You can focus the first topic on the above with some background. Exactly what others might benefit from.

I hope I answered your 2 chan question right. I was a bit thrown off there. I read it as stereo rather than a "how many speakers total". I may put 2 in the kitchen and 5 outside someday but I don't want stereo as I would never be in the right spot... so I see it as mono chan, but multiple speakers.... if that makes sense.

http://www.homeaudioforum.net/topic/227-expanding-media-in-2-rooms/page__gopid__4790#entry4790

No worries, my question really was where do you need 5chn and where do you not. :drink40:

I am a simple guy. 2chn can be in one speaker which yields mono indirectly, but I wouldn't be doing any summing ahead of that. I still prefer stereo even when imaging sucks though.

Yeah, will need to check out both.

Taking the basic MSF course in a few weeks.