Mark LaFountain

Hots

3,005 posts in this topic

Ok. It seems like everyone wants write ups on shop tools and practice. Now the question is what would you like to see first as a topic?

Table saws! lol

So I can give it to my dad and say, "Here are all the reasons why we need a new table saw."

Ok. It seems like everyone wants write ups on shop tools and practice. Now the question is what would you like to see first as a topic?

That sir, is all up to you and what you want to tackle. :)

pfft Aarons all nice....

Ryan2, PLEASE make a topic on how to buy a good saw for audio cabinet building. PLEASE.

Help some other guy out there save himself from buying an amazing deal to find out it still doesn't cut the mustard. I would have rather spent my $$$ on a hypoid/worm saw and a guide.

From there I can feed you questions, but I think that one would help everyone on any site who even cares about DIY speakers.

Simple.

Look for the heavy, yellow ones with "Powermatic" on them, buy that :)

Simple.

Powermatic, Unisaw, SawStop are what comes to mind, older Grizzly saws are decent too.

Just pulled the trigger on a sextuplet of Exodus Anarchy's.

Come spring I plan to finally get around to building that HT I've been promising myself for the past 3 years but have never got around to building.

BTW Sean thank you for the champ recomendation.

I drank a few gallons of memosas with the left overs.

I wasn't expecting such a dry brut, and I'm a sweet fan usually. Everyone complemented it though and we polished off 1 bottle in minuites.

I don't like sweet anything but tend to only recommend things worth drinking. Glad it worked out for you :)

Simple.

I recently picked up a very mildly used 5yr old Unisaw, can't wait to use it. :P

Simple.

Depends on the number or in your description what "heavy" is :P

Just pulled the trigger on a sextuplet of Exodus Anarchy's.

Come spring I plan to finally get around to building that HT I've been promising myself for the past 3 years but have never got around to building.

:)

BTW Sean thank you for the champ recomendation.

I drank a few gallons of mimosas with the left overs.

I wasn't expecting such a dry brut, and I'm a sweet fan usually. Everyone complemented it though and we polished off 1 bottle in minuites.

I don't like sweet anything but tend to only recommend things worth drinking. Glad it worked out for you :)

What I meant to say was it was great which suprised me as I'm usually a fan of sweet champagne.

I felt great that the price was good AND it tasted good. Not something that happens too often.

Also I love mimosas. They are the bestest in the world for breakfast lunch and dinner.

On the topic of writing about shop tools/tricks/etc, what about a section labeled Shop Talk or something similar? Have the section devoted to tools, methods, tricks, shops, and whatever else can be used in building, but not on a speaker build? Possibly have examples of kerf cutting, how to cut dados, and similar things.

1 person likes this

On the topic of writing about shop tools/tricks/etc, what about a section labeled Shop Talk or something similar? Have the section devoted to tools, methods, tricks, shops, and whatever else can be used in building, but not on a speaker build? Possibly have examples of kerf cutting, how to cut dados, and similar things.

This would be great in the DIY section!

Just for the record. Premium 3.5mm cable from mono price stands for, ridiculously large cable. It has a huge connection with 2 cables running to the other 3.5mm end

Taking it easy this morning, been tired all week so decided it would be smart to relax while I have some down time.

Speaking of tablesaws... I had my first good oops in about 15 years on one.

I fillet my damn finger right up the middle, down to the bone (actually took about 1/4" of bone of the end). 22 stitches.

This was 3 months ago, I am fully funtional now, only a scar. The nail even grew back... Funny thing is, it didn't hurt really at all, I think the nerves werre cut. All I took was some motrin and I slept fine the first night.

Fucking sharp-ass German carbide blades... lol...

Finger.jpg

Building speakers...

And my wife always says my guns and motorcycles are dangerous.

Also, if you notice, it is my left hand.... I am right handed. I was reading some plans I had drafted while the saw was still running... I turned around to look at some MDF, turned back around and clank! This loud noise and the I get a wierd warm feeling in my arm and the nice taste of salt in my mouth from some crap that was just thrown in my face.... Son-of-a-bitch....

I was just pissed because I couldn't finish the project that day.

I finished it 2 days later.

That is about as well as you could have fared with that I think.

My dad and I had a close call the other year. I was working in the wood shop at home and he came in to chat for awhile. We were both leaning on the table saw, he was leaning in line with the blade/slightly over it when his knee hit the start switch and it kicked on. Talk about puckering the 'ole hole. Neither of use were touching the blade, but startled/scared me that is for sure. That is why you shouldn't touch the damn blade with your hands unless its unplugged.