Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
otis857

Marantz Snafu (Self Inflicted)

13 posts in this topic

Just when I thought I had a handle on things, I got bit by the "when in doubt, read the instructions" bug. My Proceed AVP finnaly shot craps after about 8 years of fantastic sound. So, I started shopping for another pre-amp, only to find that few high end brands had HDMI capabilities. Since money is tighter these days, and I cant swing another 5K pre-amp, so I started looking at alternatives. My long term goal is to turn my seldom used living room into a dedicated Home Theater and game room. Thats when I decided to buy a receiver as I can leave it in my family room when I actually can afford to start the theater project. By then, Im sure most, if not all High end pre-amps will be HDMI (1.7 or1.9 ;) ) capable.

After reviewing 1K recievers, I decided on a Marantz SR6004 (slightly more). My wife was actually generous enough to agree to this for Christmas. I would be using the pre-amp outputs to run my Linn 5140's active as in my Proceed set up. Unpacking and wiring is SOOO much easier with HDMI and I was astonished at the pile of interconnects I had left over. Got everything all hooked, hit the power button and had No remote control. I went through everything I could think of to no avail! I actually did grab the manual and scoured it. The remote triggers have a "disable IR functions" that was hidden in the manual and I thought, viola, this is surely it. WRONG again, bucko!

I called my friendly neighborhood Hi Fi dealer that sold me the unit and they came over to check it out. It stumped them too. Replacement ordered and I lived w/o remote control for a while. New unit comes in, I plugged it in and verified that the remote worked. So I hooked up all the cables and NO REMOTE again. WTF?? Called my Hi Fi buddy/guru and went through some troubleshooting ideas. When he suggested unplugging one cable at a time, I finally found the culprit. Turns out that the new Marantz units are bluetooth capable with a small bluetooth receiver box that plugs into the back. When I unplugged it, I GOT REMOTE CONTROL AGAIN! Yahoo!. Then I looked on the little Bluetooth receiver, and there's this little switch that says IR on/off. DOH! I've been at the Hi Fi and Home theater hobby since the early days of Pro Logic and thought I knew what I was doing, Ha! Just when You think,...

Oh well, with the minimal settings done, I can honestly say the Marantz unit sounds remarkably close to my old Proceed, at 1/5th of the price. Now Im hyped all over again to set it up completely and really give it a listen.

Mike

We carry some Marantz receivers where I work. They are quality stuff.

Glad you got everything in check!

Yea, I was very satisfied with the sound quality with only the speaker distances set on the first unit. Whats funny or upsetting, I havent figured out which, is I currently have no use for the bluetooth capabilities ;) . Maybe down the road. My reason for posting this snafu is to alert any potential Marantz owners of this issue as well as kick myself publicly for putting my HI FI bud in a situation of having to get and return another receiver.

I also have an older Marantz DV 8400 dvd, sacd player that I have been extremely happy with and trouble free too. I was hoping that I would attain nearly the same sound quality as I had with my older Proceed unit as time and technology moved forward. Im happy to say that my expectations were met. Now Im looking foward to putting it through the paces.

Mike

This also illustrates the need to use a quality retailer when purchasing sophisticated and expensive products like this. They work with you to get it right and make you happy with your purchase.

This also illustrates the need to use a quality retailer when purchasing sophisticated and expensive products like this. They work with you to get it right and make you happy with your purchase.

That's the way local retailer are. They will make sure you're happy and will go the extra yard. Internet can be scary unless you know the companies are legitimate. SSA and all their manufacturers on the forum come to mind ;)

Todd (or Turd ;) )

Are you a Audio dealer or work for one? Perhaps you can answer some questions I have on the features of this receiver. If so, I'd greatly appreciate it.

1. The M-DAX feature is of great interest. Im an XM subscriber, and love the content, hate the sound quality. I have a Roadie docking station plugged into my system now, but they only have analog outputs. Is there an XM docking receiver that comes with that (appears to be) digital output? Is there a way to use analog inputs with this M-DAX feature?

2.The usb input on the front panel. Admittedly, I dont know much about how to utilize it. Is there a WIFi digital media receiver that works well with this feature? Im trying to catch up on this technology, but reviews of the most current products are few.

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on these questions

Mike

I work at a shop. I mostly work in the car audio area since I'm an installer but I know a little and could find out more.

I have had the same feelings towards Xm and Satalite radio in general. Bad sound quality. If M-dax does what it says it does, it could be a real help with the sat radio. I have never used the M-dax feature and honestly have never heard of it until you brought it up.

I am confused about the wording of your post, but I'll try to answer the best I can.

To my knowledge, I have not seen a Sirius or XM home docking station with any kind of digital output. It has always been Analog stereo. As to the second part of the question, I have no idea. Does using M-dax require using a digital input? If it does, you might be out of luck. You may be able to find a Analog to Digital audio converter, but I'd be willing to guess it'd be a bit spendy. We have ordered Digital audio to analog audio converters and those sell anywhere between $50 and $100.

I see that the 6004 has an XM controller input, so you could just wire it straight in that way. Just an idea.

And as far as I know, The usb on the front is for plugging in flash drives or cell phones and getting audio from those devices to the speakers.

Hope some of this was helpful.

1 person likes this

If you grab a logitech squeezebox you can play XM/Sirius through its digital output. The streaming quality is low enough though that analog more than suffices.

I haven't had much time to get into it deeply. The XM controller input is a strange plug configuration and it must have some type of dedicated tuner or docking station. Any ideas as to what that model is? Maybe its just a dedicated cable, but if so, you'd think they would use RCA's. I just assumed that it digital and used a digital EQ algorithm to do what they advertise it to do. I hope to get more time to look into this as soon as work calms down and try it out. When I get it figured out, I'll definitely report my findings as this has to be a good thing for any Sat radio fan.

Im still curious about Digital media receivers to use with the front USB input. Anyone had good or bad experiences with these? It would be nice to stream Pandora via WiFi.

Mike

The Squeezebox will also let you stream Pandora via WiFi (and it will connect to your hdd and let you play your own music as well via wifi)

Not sure, Sonos was crossed off my list instantly as it doesn't work with the home automation software I have. The Squeezebox can do a ton of stuff though, but is primarily a music source. Not knowing what the Sonos is, basically the SB will let you play from any source anywhere that you have a receiver. They connect to any stereo via digital or analog.