Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
topgun

Wood Glue And Repairability

4 posts in this topic

So what wood glue should one use in their wood creations? Here is a thread that is quite informative about wood glues, but more specifically the repair of the glues. Anyone who has worked with titebond and tried to repair it can attest to the fact it doesn't work well at all for that. This thread goes over what glues work, where they work, how to use them, and all about how to fix a broken glue joint. It has made me reevaluate my choice of glues, and anyone who is serious about woodworking should read the entire thread.

Are Your Glue Joints Repairable? - Sawmill Creek

1 person likes this

Very good information in there, you'd think Titebond would outperform most glues. Guess not :)

Very good information in there, you'd think Titebond would outperform most glues. Guess not :)

It is the highest strength glue, that much is known. If someone tries to fix a titebond joint with about anything they will find that it sucks and doesn't hold. For something that isn't going to be around for all that long, standard panel work, or quick set time is needed, titebond is the way to go. Now if you have cross grain joints or building something that is going to become heirloom furniture I wouldn't recommend it. Wood moves and glue joints break, that is the plain and simple truth of woodworking.

Something I didn't realize was that it isn't recommended for structural use and will creep over time making glue joints proud in a panel.

A bit late here, but may benefit someone. Consider old fashioned hide glue. It takes a bit of effort to learn, but may be perfect for this use. I'm a luthier and use hide glue for a lot of my instrument building. It is every bit as strong as Titebond 1, but can be un-gluded \with some heat and small drops of hot water.

BTW, Titebond 1 doesn't creep, but 2 and 3 will.

Dave