Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hacker1997

Stereo amplifier and speaker watts

3 posts in this topic

II need help. My receiver out puts 70 watts my speakers can handle 20 to 250 watts of power. when i turn up the sound half way they sound like crap why? My receiver is a pioneer stereo receiver SX-253R and my speakers are polk audio monitor 10 series there older.

What are your setting like on the receiver.  EQ.  Sounds like you are describing distortion but a better description of the distortion would help pinpoint exactly what it might be.  Is it on all sources or is it limited to a single input.

Distortion happens 2 ways. One overdrive, or breakup. When you over-power your driver's to a point where they no longer produce clean sound, mechanisms move further then they were designed to and crackling noises can be heard. 

The other is pushing the amp to hard with EQ settings and loudness/bass boost turned up or on. This produces a static type of distortion and will hurt your driver's equally as bad. Possibly the amp as well.

Improperly matching speakers can be a reason an amp overdrives. If impedance is not matched you could be frying your amplifiers filters. Leading to undesirable noises, burnt up or out amplifier, and possibly burn up speakers.

Your components are matched pretty good though. Here's the deal. Most consumer grade components don't run the numbers stamped on the box. Chances are your receiver is running more like 40-45watts a channel continuous and can take a punch to 80. In essence, your reciever is only gonna run its loudest flat, Bass and treble set to 0, all loudness and bass boost off turned off. Even then, you may not hit 68% on the volume control.

1 person likes this