Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BolognaBlake

Home Use Of 2 12" Rl-P's?

8 posts in this topic

I've got two 12" Rl-p D2 that have been sitting around collecting dust for a couple of years now.

I'm eventually going to do a Mach 5 IXL 18, but to hold me over, I'd like to make use of the Rl-ps to replace a low-power, high tuned 12" KLH that I'm using currently. I've been told they don't model well for home use, but I'm sure that I can see a large improvement over what i have now.

What would be the best route for these subs? They will be powered be an EP4000. The box can be up to ~9ft*3

Thanks for the help guys.

Read more: Home use of 2 12" Rl-p's? - Home Theater Systems - Electronics and Forum - HomeTheaterShack Home use of 2 12" Rl-p's? - Home Theater Systems - Electronics and Forum - HomeTheaterShack

HT or music?

When I modeled my D4, it did just fine ;) Took some time to really nail down the enclosure though. For my TV room (HT), I think I am going to settle on 4cuft, 18hz. Going to need a serious HP filter though to save the woofer, something around a L-R at 12.5Hz. Single woofer, 1kw amplifier, and will stay within excursion limits. :P

*the D2 does have different parameters*

I remember a member that did a pair of RL-p's in home, but I think he did PR's with them.

Really the only downfall of the Rlp 12 at home is that the Rlp 15 is so well optimized for it.

It's going to be mostly HT use.

I'm not terribly opposed to a PR design, if there is a build thread i get get inspiration from, I'll see if I can find it.

Deephaven,

18hz seems a little low, but I've only used these woofers in a car environment before. What was the port configuration?

It's going to be mostly HT use.

I'm not terribly opposed to a PR design, if there is a build thread i get get inspiration from, I'll see if I can find it.

Deephaven,

18hz seems a little low, but I've only used these woofers in a car environment before. What was the port configuration?

For HT 18Hz is rather high, for music indeed it would be low but I'd rather err on the side of multipurpose and lose some output.

I like the design I came up with better for my space, with my amps & processing. Edge of danger though as overexcursion is just a knob turn away. Luckily I'll be in control of the knobs :fart: